Bug out 4X4 vehicle

Logistics and Transport
mikefranks

Bug out 4X4 vehicle

Post by mikefranks »

Hi all,

How are we doing, It has been some time since I have posted here. Hope everyone is doing well.

I have a budget of around £3,000 for a bug out vehicle. I was wondering if anyone has got one, which they would only use for SHTF situations. I was thinking along the lines of a 4 X 4 just in case I need to go off road. I would appreciate if you guys had any ideas or suggestions for me.

Thanks

Mike
rickoshea

Re: Bug out 4X4 vehicle

Post by rickoshea »

I suppose it depends where you want to go. True off road you need high clearance so would be looking for a discovery, but its a landrover and for that money, it will leak. The pickup types like the l200 or navara are much more than 3k, and I question the practicality of them. A suzuki grand vitara is a capable little number with low range box - very underestimated. Rav4's are loved - Very reliable but the 4x4 is computer controlled with no low range, but good for gravel tracks and light off road. You could get upto an 05 plate if you look well enough. The Honda CRV is a bit weird for my liking, and is trumped by the x-trail which is ok. You could go older shogun. Tyre choice is as important as 4x4. Have you considered a 4x4 car if its just for all weather road escape?
unsure

Post by unsure »

best go for an `old skool` diesel van . that has less elec bits to go wrong , no sensors to speak of and should be able to run on veg oil .
witha van you can use it to carry all your supplys and people or you can convert it to a camper if theres just one or two of you .
thats just my thoughts on this and they will differ to others .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
cpslashm

Post by cpslashm »

unsure wrote:best go for an `old skool` diesel van .
How old does a diesel vehicle have to be to have an engine that isn't fussy about fuel?
SHTF around 2017.
Sheepster

Post by Sheepster »

Disco's don't leak, They mark their territory :D
RE8ELD0G

Post by RE8ELD0G »

I have a Mitsubishi Pajero. 2.8 diesel turbo Long wheel base.
Has seven seats and the rears fold up giving a very large boot.
They are very good 4x4's for the money.
You can get very well looked after ones for less than £3000 and the old engines take veg oil without any modifications.
The engines are very easy to maintain and very basic, while the interior had all the bells and whistles.
I love mine and will never part with it.

And the Pajeros have less rust issues than Land rovers as they spent most of there lives in Japan (no road salts)
Sent from my Hammock in the woods.

Area 6

Its a fine line between a cuddle........
And holding her down so she cant get away.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

cpslashm wrote:
unsure wrote:best go for an `old skool` diesel van .
How old does a diesel vehicle have to be to have an engine that isn't fussy about fuel?
Common rail systems don't deal with veg oil well. This is where diesel is held at pressure in a common gallery with injectors controlled by solenoids. Engines with fuel pumps that send individual bursts of fuel to separate injectors manage veg oil better. My R-reg Citroen ZX was one such, the Y-reg Xantia I now drive is common rail.

The problem with the older diesels is that the car starts disintegrating around the engine. More and more issues appear, and spares become more difficult to find. I got out of BXs a while ago as even standard parts like radiator bottom hoses were becoming rare. If you are going to go down this route, consider joining an owners' club or even buying a donor car for spares.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

always wondered when someone mentions "off road" where they think they might be going? apart from a few farm lanes and the odd green lane that is. if someone lived in Wiltshire then Salisbury Plain would be the most obvious place, down here we have had so much rain that any vehicle attempting to go off road would be stuck right up to and over the axles going nowhere.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Not to rain on your parade, but having a dedicated BOV is a bit of a waste of time and money (in this country, probably 'Over There' as well for that matter)

Your best bet for a BOV is something you drive quite often, that way you know all its quirks and that its ready to rock RFN.

Think about it, you'll still have to have a current MOT, Tax and Insurance to drive on the roads (unless its the Zompocalypse of course ) and if you never drive it how will you practice your BO plan(s) ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
unsure

Post by unsure »

if your not a badge snob , look at a ssanyong musso 2.9td , they are an every day 4x4 but do run on veg oil as its a mercedes 602 engine .
ive seen a 2000 model for sale at £850 so that would leave a lot in the kitty for other things .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .