Bike vs Cars? Can you store petrol?!

Logistics and Transport
lonewolf

Re: Bike vs Cars? Can you store petrol?!

Post by lonewolf »

depends what kind of a load your old jag can pull!! I wouldn't go for a huge trailer.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

Here's a suggestion from leftfield - if it's a balance issue with riding a bike perhaps you could consider a tricycle.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
jansman

Post by jansman »

FEISTY wrote:
redskies wrote:Tbh, I wouldn't try to store petrol - just like food, it goes 'off', so it needs rotating regularly. For me, diesel wins every time, because older diesel vehicles will run on veg oil or bio diesel or red diesel or a variety of other substances which can be bodged in time of need!

You can make two or three thousand litres of biodiesel for your own use, no tax or anything on it. Not sure how long it keeps, but it's a fairly simple process, and you get glycerin as a byproduct, which is always handy!
I drive a not very old diesel Jag - can I make biodiesel for that and how exactly?
By what I understand, may not be suitable for your high performance motor. The chip oil practitioners tend to drive older vehicles. But I am no mechanic, so could easily be wrong.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
JOE90

Post by JOE90 »

FEISTY wrote:
redskies wrote:Tbh, I wouldn't try to store petrol - just like food, it goes 'off', so it needs rotating regularly. For me, diesel wins every time, because older diesel vehicles will run on veg oil or bio diesel or red diesel or a variety of other substances which can be bodged in time of need!

You can make two or three thousand litres of biodiesel for your own use, no tax or anything on it. Not sure how long it keeps, but it's a fairly simple process, and you get glycerin as a byproduct, which is always handy!
I drive a not very old diesel Jag - can I make biodiesel for that and how exactly?
I would be careful what you put in a modern diesel, even bio diesel. The quality must be spot on. I have a VW Bora TDi that does not like supermarket diesel but loves diesel from a proper filling station. My old Vauxhall frontera has older technology and will run on almost anything. I'm currently working on a project that cleans up old engine oil to use as fuel.
redskies

Post by redskies »

I did say older in the post too :P

The newer a car is, the less likely it'll run on alternatives. New cars are horrible in terms of self maintenance and being obliging fuel wise, just because of the way they're built. I have numerous friends who are old school mechanics, and they loathe new cars.

I'll ask OH, who did all the biodiesel research - I can just about remember the basics. When we had an old minibus a few years ago, it would run on veg oil quite happily. But it was quite ancient!

I'll try and get some links to post, but it's all out there online, just need a minute or two with a search engine :)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Both?

You can store petrol, but you are limited to quantity
Adding a fuel stabiliser will help it to store for longer (look in places that sell boating supplies or chandlers)

Bikes are a great backup and (as others have said) are a good way to get/stay fit

If I was you learning to drive and ride would be on my preps list.

You can pick up decent bikes on Ebay (set the search to display based on distance from you ), Craig's list, Freecycle or Preloved

Learning to maintain you bike is also a useful skill too

If your SOP already has a bike the two of you can go riding together (start small and build up distance)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
cpslashm

Post by cpslashm »

Legally, you can store 30 litres of fuel in two 10 litre steel cans and two 5 litre plastic cans. No other combination.

Last time I looked, making fuel like biodiesel is ignored by the tax man if it's less than 2500 litres per year. Over that it's 57.95p per litre for the lot.

Biodiesel recipes must be kept for six years with some proof that each batch is made to recipe.
SHTF around 2017.
unsure

Post by unsure »

when making your own bio fuel , you need to be exact .if you get it wrong you end up with a batch of useless mess that you with find hard to get ride of .

as been said , older diesel engines will run on just about any thing even hydrolic oil found in every day things , from the trolly jack in your garage to jcb`s . in a fuel crisis ,people might drain the fuel tanks but how many will think to use different oils . all you need to look for are 4 pipes coming off the fuel injection pump going to the injectors . the older merc sprinter 602 engines do really well on any thing as well .

as for old engine oil , filter it cold through a 1 micron filter sock and if you have the time and space , make up a spinning filter [rota filter ] .google land rover rota filter and you`ll get the idea .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

just wondered why anyone would want to store large quantity of fuel POST SHTF, its not like we'll be going anywhere is it? keep enough to get to your BOL + a bit extra but I think that's about it.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

To power a geni maybe? Dunno but that's a whole new topic of whether to use a generator in a shtf situation or not ;)
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)