Bike vs Cars? Can you store petrol?!

Logistics and Transport
fruitbat

Bike vs Cars? Can you store petrol?!

Post by fruitbat »

What would be the best in a bug out situation.

I can't drive and I can't ride a bike!!! Fortunately my partner can do both. I would have to rely on him to drive in a bug out situation but I highly doubt I'm going to be storing petrol so we would run out quickly. Is it even possible to store petrol safely?

But for someone who has thought this through more than me, I'm going to learn to drive but is it worth my time learning to ride a bike in a bug out situation? Are bikes better for this scenario?

What would be your opinions on this matter. I really need this prepared and all the help I can get, thank you.
preppingsu

Re: Bike vs Cars? Can you store petrol?!

Post by preppingsu »

I guess it depends on why you are bugging out and how far you are planning to go.

There is a local gas leak and all houses are being evacuated. We are 'bugging out' to the local bargain hotel, we will drive there.

Water has been cut off (think 2007 Gloucestershire floods). I'm 'bugging out' to my mums 20 miles away. I'm going to drive.

Good to have fuel stored for those just in case moments when there are fuel strikes etc. Also good for petrol mowers.

Of course, if its zombies - don't worry, every car will have unlimited fuel and will start first time without keys... :tinfoil :roll:
redskies

Post by redskies »

Tbh, I wouldn't try to store petrol - just like food, it goes 'off', so it needs rotating regularly. For me, diesel wins every time, because older diesel vehicles will run on veg oil or bio diesel or red diesel or a variety of other substances which can be bodged in time of need!

You can make two or three thousand litres of biodiesel for your own use, no tax or anything on it. Not sure how long it keeps, but it's a fairly simple process, and you get glycerin as a byproduct, which is always handy!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Learning to drive is a good skill it is true. Learning to ride a bike is even better. Without meaning to sound rude, unless you have a disability that makes learning to ride difficult , then go for it! I am a hardcore cyclist-who drives 500 miles a week for work!!- but the bike is the ultimate urban transport. Stick a rack and panniers on it and it becomes REAL transport. It also keeps you fit and it is cost effective.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
redskies

Post by redskies »

I don't have the paperwork, never got around to tests, but I can ride and drive, and have done both for thousands of miles at one time or another. Agreed, very handy skills to have. Even if you don't do the test thing!
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Looks like you've identified two skill sets to improve. Learning to drive, and running a car are both expensive but give you loads of options you don't have. Bikes are great transport for one or two people, less good with nippers, but keep you fit and get you around the place. With a trailer they can carry impressive loads.
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Car every time for me young children and pets to bug out with
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

generally speaking stored Petrol will last about 6 months and diesel about 12, after that it tends to go "off", you can still use it but it tends to bung up jets and injectors and carbs and things! if your going to store it, like everything else fuel should be rotated, rotated, rotated, use it and replace with fresh.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

redskies wrote:Tbh, I wouldn't try to store petrol - just like food, it goes 'off', so it needs rotating regularly. For me, diesel wins every time, because older diesel vehicles will run on veg oil or bio diesel or red diesel or a variety of other substances which can be bodged in time of need!

You can make two or three thousand litres of biodiesel for your own use, no tax or anything on it. Not sure how long it keeps, but it's a fairly simple process, and you get glycerin as a byproduct, which is always handy!
I drive a not very old diesel Jag - can I make biodiesel for that and how exactly?
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

featherstick wrote:Looks like you've identified two skill sets to improve. Learning to drive, and running a car are both expensive but give you loads of options you don't have. Bikes are great transport for one or two people, less good with nippers, but keep you fit and get you around the place. With a trailer they can carry impressive loads.
Been looking at trailers for a while, but have no tow bar and the range of sizes and prices is befuddling.