Your Cache

Logistics and Transport
FEISTY

Your Cache

Post by FEISTY »

Found a reference on here to a Cache. Now it never occurred to me to store stuff away from home. How would you arrange this? For example, if it's a lock-up, it's going to be raided by looters looking for anything they can find. So existing, unprotected buildings are out. Have you buried stuff in the wilderness? How can you hide stuff, but have it readily accessible when you need it?
FEISTY

Re: Your Cache

Post by FEISTY »

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Just back from my bug out area , and I have buried a large cache not only have I stashed food and water I have also stashed a gas stove + a few canisters of gas along with candles . I bought 2 air tight containers to keep my stash safe and dry . My plan is to increase my stock every 6 to 12 months due to the location .
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

When we are all dead and gone imagine what the archaeologists of the future will make of all this buried treasure? What gods will they think it all an offering for?
Seriously though it's a consideration for things like fuel that too much of would be dangerous/illegal to keep at home, even for the bug in types, and for those with large gardens or land, places like under sheds/containers would be a good choice as well as the more pirate treasure options, I'd rather have a cache of useful stuff than a pile of money in a bank that's for sure.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

My Brother lives in a small flat. So he stashes his work gear, tools , generator etc. in his lock up. It is a storage unit actually, in a secure compound. Also he keeps tinned food and water in 5 gallon barrels there. It works for him.
As for me, I have (some) food, and essential gear(stove, FAK, a tarp -all the usual stuff) buried in screw-top pickle barrels. I am not a fan of the idea of 'Bugging-out' as We have no specific place of our own to go to anymore, since the holiday home was sold. To leave our current home to go nowhere specific would mean we were refugees.You need to own a place to be confident to relocate.
So my little stash is there(and the Famirly know) in case we lost our main stuff, for whatever reason. I suppose my stash is an underground BOB.
I also keep cash buried, which the Family know about. Useful , as when our local cash point was raided,we had some Moolah to buy grub.

So why bury ANY of it? The average Scrote ain't goin' diggin'. That's why.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Jeez, what a find I had today. I was mooching about in my woods with the dog and he dug up two air tight containers full of food and water plus a gas stove and a few canisters of gas with some candles.

:-)

I have posted this before but it is relevant here. Check out www.molevalleyfarmers.com. They do 200 litre screw lid sealed, watertight containers for £18. Ideal if you want to bury stuff and keep it dry and free from vermin. They work okay if buried sideways in a bank. Ideal as water butts too.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors