FIRST CAR! but i want it to be potential BOV

Logistics and Transport
bettersafethansorry

FIRST CAR! but i want it to be potential BOV

Post by bettersafethansorry »

I live inner city so always used public transport. im now 30 and looking for my first cari want a automatic (i have 3 kids) but considering insurance as no no claims etc what would be a good family car that could also double as BOV??

Ideas.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
northern bloke

Re: FIRST CAR! but i want it to be potential BOV

Post by northern bloke »

Given your position of having no no claims bonus and wanting an auto if it isn't too small for your needs why not go for the likes of the little people carriers such as the kangoo cheap to run and insure plus they do a 4x4 version also and if your handy have a look into converting it to a camper you can buy a pull out kit called an Amdro boot jump but a bit pricey but add a drive away awning or adapt a cheap porch awning and its a handy little motor.

Following is a link to a site that has a following of small camper builders to get ideas from, scroll down to "cars and light vans adapted for camping" for members own conversions.

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/forum.php
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

If your handy with the spanners at all maybe look at something 15+ years old this may seem silly but you can get classic insurance with limited miles 5-10k if your inner city and use public transport a lot this won't be a prob. Classic insurance means you can look at bigger cars why not look at a merc a 190e 2ltr can be picked up for anything from a couple hundred if you go for a 190d then you can run on straight veg oil, lovel cars basically the pre to the c class or a bit bigger an old e class estate can be got for under a grand and good for huge miles due to timing chains diesels are pricey tho but get a solid one not too hard and your laughing Very simple to work on just get a Haynes manual some spanners and enjoy.
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?
damaralenoire

Post by damaralenoire »

I passed my driving test a couple of months ago and for my first car i bought myself a KA purely for budget reasons. My car insurance is £80 a month and it was KA cars that were the cheapest on insurance searches, however for a single person its a good little runner and my boot though small is now properly equipped with, rope spare tyre, spare jerry can, water, first aid kit, spare bulbs, hi vis jacket, torch, blanket, snacks, maps, hand warmers, etc etc and there are plenty of little nooks in the car where i can hide things. however i have to admit it aint good on the fuel to mileage ratio. I would like to think that my ideal BOV would be something like a Suzuki Jimny Jeep which is small but big enough for passengers and carrying my Bug Out Equipment
AREA 12

“Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes.”
bettersafethansorry

Post by bettersafethansorry »

bob the builder wrote:If your handy with the spanners at all maybe look at something 15+ years old this may seem silly but you can get classic insurance with limited miles 5-10k if your inner city and use public transport a lot this won't be a prob. Classic insurance means you can look at bigger cars why not look at a merc a 190e 2ltr can be picked up for anything from a couple hundred if you go for a 190d then you can run on straight veg oil, lovel cars basically the pre to the c class or a bit bigger an old e class estate can be got for under a grand and good for huge miles due to timing chains diesels are pricey tho but get a solid one not too hard and your laughing Very simple to work on just get a Haynes manual some spanners and enjoy.
love the c 180's and the older merc's did not know these were covered by classic insurance yet tho!

food for thought ty.
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

The w202 c class are riddled with rust by now that's when the accountants started running merc that's they started in production in 93, the w201 190 the first baby merc ran 82-93 much better cars I've had 2 and want another as well as my e class estate (bought for sub a grand but needs work) try Lancaster for classics insurance you dont need no claims or gain no claims tho.

Some might not say best prepper car but I would argue this as I'm a bug in prepper so if I need to get out of dodge i want something I can get family and enough supplys to get us safe. A 70 ltr tank on a 2ltr petrol can get you from Glasgow to London decent sized boot comfortably sit 4 5 if 3 kids in back lots of toys modern cars have
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?
generaldogsbody

Post by generaldogsbody »

To get classic insurance on a car,not sure if you have to have anouther car already insured.I think someone can put you on there insurance ,and you could get classic insurance then.i think.
106lad

Post by 106lad »

For me, if it was a car that was being used every day, carting kids about etc and if the SHTF could then be used as a go anywhere mountain goat I'd be looking at the following. And taking into account how easy to run it is, reliability, and everyday usefulness:

1. Subaru Impreza Wagon / Legacy Wagon
Pros -
Good space
4WD
Will literally go anywhere

Cons-
Dependant on version, needs super Unleaded
Not great ground clearance
Insurance may be a touch high

2. Land Rover Discovery
Pros -
4wd
Rugged
Easily fixed
Loads of mods that help with go anywhere-ness

Cons -
Rotten heaps
Maybe a bit big
Insurance?

3. Honda CRVs / Suzuki Grand Vitaras (and equivalent soft roaders)
Pros -
Good space
Easy run
Cheap insurance

Cons-
Not as good off road
Complicated to repair sometimes
Maybe not as reliable

If you need to run anything past me give me a shout as I'm in the car scene, and should be able to advise.

106lad