Is anyone considering a boat?

Logistics and Transport
timmyt79

Re: Is anyone considering a boat?

Post by timmyt79 »

Think as has already been posted that it all depends where you live and for what use you would want a 'boat' for.
For example a 4 man inflatable would be ideal for transporting goods,family the dog etc if you are living in a flood plain and find yourself needing to bug out...

Myself i would need something a little bigger as my nearest water (about 300meters away!) is the Irish Sea!so a inflatable beach toy just wouldnt do it!Luckily i happen to work at sea so i think i would be heading into work and commandeering a vessel if the SHTF and i needed to bug out with family from the mainland. (obviously i would need a suitable vehicle to make it to work in but thats another post....! ) think it would take alot for me to leave my house though as i believe that you are much safer staying where you are,if your well prepared of course! :D
Worth remembering in what type of situation we are talking about here though...if its natural disaster type where you think you may be safer off the 'mainland' its worth remembering the weather we have had of late regarding winds and some huge tides (for example we had tides that were over 1.5 meters ABOVE prediction at high water) and the subsequent affect it has on the sea and river state,something a small yacht or rib may not be able to cope with safely.Have some photos i may post of what can happen to navigation buoys when it gets REALLY bad.....tons of metal squashed by the sea like a coke can! :shock:
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

I've been going over what it would look like selling up and buying a canal boat... still in the beard scratching phase
timmyt79

Post by timmyt79 »

Slazanger wrote:I've been going over what it would look like selling up and buying a canal boat... still in the beard scratching phase

Im in the same boat as you (no Pun intended! :D )

The retirement plan is canal boat/dutch barge or maybe some other house boat conversion then a motorhome to travel with and a land rover for getting around in!The kids can have the house!!

Looking forward to the challenge and trying to be as self sufficient as possible! :mrgreen:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

timmyt79 wrote:.......Have some photos i may post of what can happen to navigation buoys when it gets REALLY bad.....tons of metal squashed by the sea like a coke can! :shock:
Now, those I'd really like to see
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Novice prepper

Post by Novice prepper »

Bought myself a speed boat shell a few years back, in very good condition but without the seats etc, added a mariner 4stroke outboard and ready to when ever needed. In the process of finishing the trailer to tow behind Landy or motorhome.

Wife thought I was mad but not so mad now.......
cpslashm

Post by cpslashm »

Inflatables - beware of nasty sharp objects just below the surface of nasty brown flood water, e.g. barbed wire topped fence.
SHTF around 2017.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

cpslashm wrote:Inflatables - beware of nasty sharp objects just below the surface of nasty brown flood water, e.g. barbed wire topped fence.
Which is why when you see them on the news they tend to 'tow not row' unless they're running down the middle of a Sommerset road
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
timmyt79

Post by timmyt79 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
timmyt79 wrote:.......Have some photos i may post of what can happen to navigation buoys when it gets REALLY bad.....tons of metal squashed by the sea like a coke can! :shock:
Now, those I'd really like to see
Forgive me if this doesnt work first time!!

[img][IMG]http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s345 ... a509a8.jpg[/img][/img]

As promised!

[img][IMG]http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s345 ... a3f926.jpg[/img][/img]

And if You are into RIBS.....my old work vehicle (luckily the days of being exposed to elements are long gone...my vessel is much more civilised :D )

[img][IMG]http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s345 ... C00037.jpg[/img][/img]
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

I am considering to buy a 40 ft sloop to live on. Currently living on a 60 day sufficient free rotation (ie need resupply every 60 days) in my current situation. Considering selling up again and going a step further - The Sea, that way i can move around.
Just gotta find a decent boat first at the right price and condition.
Used to live on the canals but they are just too crowded and congested.
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

Yes. One of the reasons I for ai sailing licence.
Was thinking about a Blue water Cruiser with Electric engin. Of course a generator as a backup for electicity. Solar Panel and maybe wind Generators as main supply.
Has anyone grow veggies on board? Heard- of people growing herbs.