Getting started in radio communications

Logistics and Transport
Malthouse

Re: Getting started in radio communications

Post by Malthouse »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Is the Boafang able to receive Maritime 16 ?
Yes. Frequency is in the "Frequencies of Note" thread.

If I were a betting man, I would plump for 156.800 MHz.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

northern bloke wrote:... or would it be better to mount a whip antenna on top
Yes.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Malthouse wrote:Loads of info on their, but if you are having trouble with anything pop a message on here. :)

Ive been looking for a few weeks for the FM radio button that site made it idiot proof... as there is no Band button on mine..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Button above the PTT?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Malthouse wrote:Button above the PTT?

:mrgreen: thats the one :lol: few youtube vids were showing the band button which mine doesnt have
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jack the Lad

Post by Jack the Lad »

Sold my uv5's :cry:
Ordered 2 of these to replace them http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baofeng-GT-3-Tr ... ofeng+gt-3
Auntystatic

Post by Auntystatic »

After much humming and haring I finally took the plunge and bought a uv-5r to evaluate it as an edc or shtf bit of kit. The first point that hit me in the face was that to charge it you need a 10Volt power source, no good if your mains is off, you would have to build or buy a 13.8v to 10v converter :cry:

Also you can only charge batteries in the drop in charger so you need to carry that or a few extra batteries, my normal emergency kit radio is a Yaesu ft-60e, its built out of mag alloy so its very droppable without it breaking and it is waterproof, it also has the added advantage of having a small socket on the side to charge it up from a 13.8v source, the battery pack is made up of AA ni-mh and there is a spare battery pack for AA alkaline's in the box too.

Although the ft-60e is dual band, you can only use one at a time, so not as versatile as the uv-5r in that respect, but for me that 10v and drop in charger malarkey is a big negative so far, I'll keep experimenting and see what else I find. :tinfoil
Cromicon

Post by Cromicon »

Auntystatic wrote:Although the ft-60e is dual band, you can only use one at a time, so not as versatile as the uv-5r in that respect, but for me that 10v and drop in charger malarkey is a big negative so far, I'll keep experimenting and see what else I find.
I have the UV-5R for my EDC and was at first quite disappointed about the charging. However I found these that allow it to take AA's.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F33YALY They're a bit pricey, there's probably cheaper ones around somewhere but at least it's an option.
prar1966

Post by prar1966 »

You guys have put a lot of thought into this but i think something got overlooked

Radio gear for SHTF scenario must be easy to use* in all situations by anyone under extreme conditions !

Oh and if this is SHTF ~ who are you gona call ? Because the ghostbusters are really really busy right now....

There are many to choose between, I use~ COBRA MR HH125 EU ~available online, cheap and real easy to use.

But thats because i wander coastal areas and sea lochs, if your bunkered and urban then good luck :shock:

* Night time, raining with your son/daughter/mate using it; who has no idea what to do because your out cold.
Murphy's law ~ Anything that can go wrong ~ will go wrong, thats you and everything around oyu !
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

prar1966 wrote:You guys have put a lot of thought into this but i think something got overlooked

Radio gear for SHTF scenario must be easy to use* in all situations by anyone under extreme conditions !

* Night time, raining with your son/daughter/mate using it; who has no idea what to do because your out cold.
I agree but to get around this I've set up all our handhelds with set frequencies in memory. I've attached a laminated credit card sized set of instructions to each radio with a list of the emergency frequencies we use plus directions on how to scan through our set frequencies.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.