Getting started in radio communications

Logistics and Transport
Malthouse

Getting started in radio communications

Post by Malthouse »

Further to the frequencies list and the ongoing discussion about emergency comms...

Exciting things are happening to CB this year, so that is one direction well worth heading down. But handheld CBs are not and probably never will be that great, so if you want something that you can stow in your bag you can't really go far wrong with one of these:
radio.JPG
radio.JPG (26.02 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
They are very inexpensive but not bad quality. The model number is UV5RA and if you search in eBay you will find dozens.

If you buy one and want it programming I am happy to help, but you can use them "out of the box" by just keying in the frequency you want to use.

These will also pick up broadcast radio. There are high performance antennae available, as well as AAA and AA battery packs.

The frequencies I would suggest having for the purpose of listening only unless the SHTF:

Maritime channel 16, used for distress and general calling 156.800 MHz

RAF Mountain Rescue 153.600 MHz

Ham Radio VHF Calling frequency 145.500 and UHF 446.000

It is also worth putting in the 8 PMR446 frequencies so you can use the radio as a walky talky with lots of other licence-free users.

Plus have a Google search and see if your local council etc use a frequency you can add.
Quercus-robur

Re: Getting started in radio communications

Post by Quercus-robur »

Thanks for the recommendation. Though I have a question. I have had a look on Ebay and one of the sellers lists it as being able to receive frequencies 136 to 174 MHz and 400 to 480MHz yet some of the frequencies you listed on your other thread were outside these brackets. Please can you clarify, can this model receive all the frequencies you have previously listed?

Thanks

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

The reason I started this thread rather than posting the info on this product in the list is that no, this radio will not pick up all of the noteworthy frequencies.

The ones I gave here all fall into this radio's capabilities, but notably this will not do airband sadly.
Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

Does it pick up Dab Radio?
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Sadly not, analogue signals only.
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

Even if it is quite a bit more expensive, please could you recommend one that will cover all the frequencies you listed?

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

I do not know of a handheld that will receive over that many, there are base stations that will. But I know of no single unit that will transmit across that many bands.

Not saying they don't exist, but I have never used or sold them.
Marsh2666

Post by Marsh2666 »

Mine come today in the post :)
KrisWard

Post by KrisWard »

Thanks for this Malthouse, I think I will be getting a couple next couple months, and appreciate your posts.

Stay safe

Kris
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

No worries Kris, get in touch at the time if you want any help programming. :)

The benefits of this radio are not that they do everything, but that they are cheap, powerful, versatile & small.

Sadly the audio quality is not perfect, the buttons rub off too easily and various other minor niggles. But in terms of value they are great.

The band not covered that would be nice to have, aviation, is actually not that useful. Search and rescue 'craft will have capabilities to communicate in the maritime band (156-160) and that is well within this and similar products range.

CB is too far away from VHF and UHF to be practical in one device, though I have seen it in very expensive setups but then there is always another compromise!

All in all this, and other like it, give you access to the Ham stuff and the commercial stuff. More than a little bit of a help if the SHTF. 8-)