Malthouse

Re: Getting started in radio communications

Post by Malthouse »

Nice one Seadog :)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Mines come today

had a massive fall out with the software on my windows 7 laptop.. yet it was stupidly simple in windoze XP god only knows what will happen when they stop supporting it...

Managed to do a bit of basic programming got the 7 basic PMR channels in and working but cant seem to sus the sub units of the channels which give a bit more privacy

had a prat about removing the TX so i can only receive and not transmit by accident Tested with my old Binatone PMR radios
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

I would not worry about the CTCSS sub-channels, they only cut out other transmissions - others can still hear you. And if you were on a busy channel the other users would still be causing interference even if you can actually hear them, so it is better to know if there is a clear channel.

Also have a look at the unofficial "pirate" PMR446 frequencies, which add an extra 8 and which most over the counter radios can't access.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Steveo82 wrote:Does it pick up Dab Radio?
I would expect DAB to collapse along with the cell phone network. I will be keeping my analogue radios.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Hamradioop wrote:
Steveo82 wrote:Does it pick up Dab Radio?
I would expect DAB to collapse along with the cell phone network. I will be keeping my analogue radios.

I have a pocket DAB for work and in bad weather the signal is rubbish and constantly drops out

yorkshire lad

Post by yorkshire lad »

I'm definitely putting one or two of these on my wish list.
Just managed to get the OH to agree to us getting a vacume sealer, (she's not fully behind prepping yet.) so may have to give it a few weeks before I'm allowed to play with one :(
Ray Mears couldn't survive in Tesco's and Bear Grylls, is an idiot, you want to be somewhere inbetween- John 'lofty' Wiseman
Cromicon

Post by Cromicon »

Ordered two today and arranged to go to the next local HAM radio group. I'm really looking forward to it! Thank you Malthouse for the sage advice and doggedly pursuing this and everyone else for their supportive and informative posts.

I saw someone else had posted they got one of these... mine are in a rather fetching camo motif. ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CZ0X8E8
Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

Thanks again Malthouse Im really impressed with mine. Ive upgraded the antenna, I got a Nagoya NA-771 £10 from the bay. Next step technician and a base station.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Steveo82 wrote:Thanks again Malthouse Im really impressed with mine. Ive upgraded the antenna, I got a Nagoya NA-771 £10 from the bay. Next step technician and a base station.

:mrgreen:

im looking at getting another on pay day....

had it on ch 16 (monitor only) and not heard a peep all week given we live near one of the largest inland ports in Europe im surprised

Briggs

Post by Briggs »

I've had the bug for a while. Me and Mrs B use Wouxun KGV6Ds and I'm currently hankering after a Yaesu 987D. I've been going along to my local ham club too, it's all strangely appealing and the geek in me is hooked.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.