Car Bag

Logistics and Transport
Devonian

Re: Car Bag

Post by Devonian »

farnet wrote:I'll have to post a picture of the contents on my storage area (the car has runflats so the compartment that used to hold the spare tyre in previous models is now a secret storage area.

a few things I have in there are:

CO2 fire extinguisher (half size)
20 litres of diesel
6 cell mag light
steel tow rope
self heating drinks, and self heating tins of food
hand warmers
Guernsey
ski gloves
High Vis winter jacket
crow scarers
catapult
towels
rug
flares
to name just a small portion of it.

plus a BOB with some interesting stuff in it.
That's one heck of a secret storage area, a bit like the Tardis!!!

I don't suppose you could squeeze in Jersey as well?? :lol:
farnet

Post by farnet »

Being a Guernseyman (or more acurately a Sarnian) this idea of a jersey in my car is like a Yorkshireman accounting loudly he prefers Lancashire hotpot more than Yorkshire pudding... Whilst standing in a pub on a Saturday night in York.

In any case a Guernsey is actually (and truthfully) far superior to a jersey as it's made from oiled wool, and it's what the fisherman use all over the country. It's extremely warm and wind resistant, being natural fibre it is fireproof as well.

Ok it keeps you fairly dry as well, but my wife also just mentioned that you smell like a wet dog when they get Damp :-(
Area 6 bordering to area 8

'Time is a poison - too much of it and you die'
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

farnet wrote:Being a Guernseyman (or more acurately a Sarnian) this idea of a jersey in my car is like a Yorkshireman accounting loudly he prefers Lancashire hotpot more than Yorkshire pudding... Whilst standing in a pub on a Saturday night in York.
Think that's still a hanging offence here...;-)

Just be aware CO2 is next to useless on a car fire due to the mixed risk of class a and b flamables..

a 2kg co2 is usually 34b rated same as 1kg powder.. 2l of afff is 84b ish rated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uwdkrd43bU

Personally in my little hatch back I Cary a 1kg powder by the drivers seat a 1kg automatic powder unit in the engine bay and a 2l afff foam in the Boot
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
farnet

Post by farnet »

Thanks Yorkshire Andy,

I'ts one of the things that has bothered me, and you are quite correct.

It was something I already had, and yes I think I need to invest in a better 'fit for purpose' extinguisher, but is't better than nothing at the moment.
Area 6 bordering to area 8

'Time is a poison - too much of it and you die'
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:I just ordered a couple of these RAC emergency breakdown beacons. I went for the the yellow casing with orange/amber LEDs. I tried it out at the weekend and I've got to say for £15, or £20 for a rechargeable version, these cannot be beat. The plastic housing is very robust and the unit is waterproof. It is magnetic plus it has a loop fixing in the casing so it can be mounted easily on your vehicle or clipped to clothing or placed in the road as a warning. I fitted mine to the back of my quad trailer by the magnet option only and it did not come off even while bouncing around on and off-road.

There are ten different flash settings which are selected by holding down the on/off button. In a comparison test with a traditional traffic cone 6 volt amber beacon in unlit roads there really is no comparison. Youtube has some demo videos but I'll try and get out this evening and post up a video of the RAC beacon up against my traditional 6 volt beacon.

http://www.heinnie.com supplied mine.

Just seen these

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... 8372&ar=10

Not sure how good they are but might be worth a look
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine