Resilient Emergency Communications

Logistics and Transport
Malthouse

Re: Resilient Emergency Communications

Post by Malthouse »

:D

Oh and as for online reading, there is all the info on the Ofcom web site but it is not in any single place - that is what people pay the likes of me for ;)
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

mallie99 wrote:Shiny!

*checks bank balance*
Edited my earlier post
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

So what equipment would we need?
how much would it cost?
what sort of range/distance would our equipment work at?
Would we be able to reach all the PUK users or just local? Could we use other PUK users to piggy back (like a repeater)
Would it not be easier to get ham licences?
Would we be able to use a text function and piggy back it up and down the country?

Sorry for so many questions but if it will cost hundreds and have limited uses Id prefer to go down the ham route and establish a network that way.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

I would say Ham Radio is another facet, just like CB. Its not either or, if you have the option of both.

Range will not reliably cover hundreds of miles, leapfrogging is possible though.

Equipment wise is the usual, do you want a transit van or an Aston Martin? Minimum cost for a handheld is 40 quid and a base station 250. But the sky is the limit!
Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

what would we need for a nationwide network ?
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

It cannot be done without trunking - repeaters that are connected to the phone/internet and re-repeat to a whole other area.

Radio signals can be bounced and bent. But that is firmly Ham territory.

There is a network of radio amateurs that give their time to preparing for, and offering, radio coverage in the event of emergencies: Raynet.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Coming back to this now I have a smudge more time...
Steveo82 wrote:equipment? cost? range/distance? local?
So, as I touched on earlier a private business licence should not be seen as an alternative to a Ham licence. The latter allows you to stay in contact with other radio operators from all over the country/world, a worthwhile endeavour and no mistake. Raynet are also a subgroup of that.

A private business licence allows us (UK Preppers) to communicate legitimately with each other over relatively short distances without the need for individual licences. This, come a cock up, will stand us in good stead as we will have the equipment and knowledge to do much more.

For example. If I wanted to find other like minded people. I would travel to an area, find high ground and send a transmission at a pre-arranged time and in doing so reach out over very many tens of square miles.

Not everyone wants to get into the nitty gritty of Ham Radio, for them a "company" licence is a good way forward. They will need to adhere to strict conditions but in doing so will be able to make off-grid contact with others within a few miles.

The kit is not expensive, 40 quid or less. The range depends on the kit, spend more and get more.
Steveo82

Post by Steveo82 »

Thanks for that Malthouse you've cleared most of this up for me. :D
One last question....... If I go down the ham radio set up route ( I've already contacted my local club which is part/ affiliated with ray net) will I be able to monitor the UKP buissnes frequency using a ham base setup.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Steveo82 wrote:will I be able to monitor the UKP buissnes frequency using a ham base setup.
Absolutely :) not just monitor, but use!
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

is it possible to clone a list of freq over the net ?
onto the baofeng