Resilient Emergency Communications

Logistics and Transport
seadog

Re: Resilient Emergency Communications

Post by seadog »

Nice one Cougar, just orderred 4.

Have I missed some thing, or has a group decission been made over what frequencies we should all use to contact each other in the event of SHTF?
Apologies if I have
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

seadog wrote:Nice one Cougar, just orderred 4.

Have I missed some thing, or has a group decission been made over what frequencies we should all use to contact each other in the event of SHTF?
Apologies if I have
172.000Mhz was the suggested frequency, I'm not sure what the plan was though. I've been scanning it while mobile in the SW - no contacts so far.

Tomorrow, I will be on the M5/M4/M3 and M23 doing a trip to Crawley and back so I'll keep 172.000 in my scan list. If anyone is in those areas or on my route maybe we'll make contact of some sort.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
munchh

Post by munchh »

Guys and Gals,

please be aware that listening is one thing, if it was a shtf situation and we used 172 mhz to help people im sure come the world righting itself, it would not be a problem that we had, but transmitting on this frequency right now without the license malthouse has spoken about is against the law, just be aware of this, not trying to spoil anything, just dont want anyone to under any illusion.

anyone who is going down the amature route will find all this out.

:geek:
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

munchh wrote:Guys and Gals,

please be aware that listening is one thing, if it was a shtf situation and we used 172 mhz to help people im sure come the world righting itself, it would not be a problem that we had, but transmitting on this frequency right now without the license malthouse has spoken about is against the law, just be aware of this, not trying to spoil anything, just dont want anyone to under any illusion.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Many thanks.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

munchh wrote:Guys and Gals,

Thanks for reiterating that, I should have in my post. If you can spare the time, get along to a local amateur radio club, it's up there on the geek scale but I really enjoy it and recommend it.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Highly recommend going amature route I'm on week 3 of foundation licence course
Not expensive to do club charged £15 to join the club and a test fee will be payable about £25 ish
So far I've learnt some morse fascinating stuff
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

munchh wrote:please be aware that listening is one thing, if it was a shtf situation and we used 172 mhz to help people im sure come the world righting itself, it would not be a problem that we had, but transmitting on this frequency right now without the license malthouse has spoken about is against the law
This is very true, well reminded. Please also note that the licence required to use 172.000 MHz on a day to day basis does not need to be a Ham licence, this frequency is covered by private business radio hire.

Not that I would discourage anyone from joining their local radio club, all valuable skills and contacts.