Official UKP printed Map?

Logistics and Transport
Malthouse

Official UKP printed Map?

Post by Malthouse »

I tried to search, but obviously map comes up a lot! So apologies if there is already a thread on this. :?

Is there a map that we all agree to use? The advantage being that if we are communicating openly then it becomes less obvious to anyone over hearing what the exact details are, but more importantly it means locations can be given quickly and accurately.
Last edited by Malthouse on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Malthouse

Re: Official UKP Map?

Post by Malthouse »

Just spent a few minutes with Google and turned nothing up! :(

I was looking for something that covers all the the British Isles and is not cluttered with traffic cams and other extras.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

We had a location map for members, accessed by a passcode.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1453

Unfortunately, the young man who organised this has gone AWOL and despite the fact I tried to sort it out I couldn't so we have locked the thread.

It took a lot of time and energy to organise this, with members increasing all the time. It may be best to keep it within 'Areas'.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

I know the sort of thing, very handy to have and wise to have protected it. Shame the guy has gone missing, no doubt picked up by smart looking chaps with umbrellas even in summer. :?

I was mor thinking of a printed atlas, something that we can all have for use when needed. It would need to be small, as well as comprehensive and uncluttered. There will be one out there, I am sure. :geek:
DundeePrepper

Post by DundeePrepper »

Malthouse wrote:Just spent a few minutes with Google and turned nothing up! :(

I was looking for something that covers all the the British Isles and is not cluttered with traffic cams and other extras.
I would like to suggest we use this map:
http://www.arcgis.com/explorer/

It's much more detailed than Google and you have the option* to clutter/declutter it as you wish, its basically an up to date OS map with option layers for terrain, satellite imagery, roads/streets..

It would also be feasible to create an online password protected version to mark out the 'Areas' and include pinpoints of preppers local areas.. much like the aforementioned Google version.. (I'm not volunteering :lol: )

but as a reference point I recommend everyone use it when doing anything Prepping related.. :D
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Two small problems...

It requires MS Silverlight

It is not a post SHTF resource

:D
DundeePrepper

Post by DundeePrepper »

Malthouse wrote:I know the sort of thing, very handy to have and wise to have protected it. Shame the guy has gone missing, no doubt picked up by smart looking chaps with umbrellas even in summer. :?

I was mor thinking of a printed atlas, something that we can all have for use when needed. It would need to be small, as well as comprehensive and uncluttered. There will be one out there, I am sure. :geek:
As for Post SHTF.. I recommend buying OS Active maps (the orange ones).. for the areas you think you need to cover..
I doubt there will be anything pocket sized that will cover the UK... :)
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
DundeePrepper

Post by DundeePrepper »

Malthouse wrote:Two small problems...

It requires MS Silverlight

It is not a post SHTF resource

:D
You should have silverlight :o :shock: How on earth do you pass the time playing online games and such without it? :lol:
Newbie Prepper
- Unknown Author
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

DundeePrepper wrote:You should have silverlight :o :shock: How on earth do you pass the time playing online games and such without it? :lol:
You already know the answer to this....

I post incessantly on internet fora :lol: :ugeek: :shock:
preppingsu

Re: Official UKP printed Map?

Post by preppingsu »

For your own resources I suggest OS maps and marking on them things that interest you (in your area or wider afield). This could include abandoned orchards, good foraging areas, other preppers (as you get to know them), future meeting points post shtf (including message drop points).

Other things to include would be useful warehouses for food and equipment that your everyday bod wouldn't think of.

You could laminate sections of the map thus making it smaller, you could design your own mini area maps.

Is that what you are thinking?

To cover the whole of the UK would be a huge task!