Official UKP printed Map?

Logistics and Transport
Malthouse

Re: Official UKP printed Map?

Post by Malthouse »

preppingsu wrote:... Is that what you are thinking?

To cover the whole of the UK would be a huge task!
An example scenario:

Post SHTF. People from one group of areas have left their home turf and are meeting up, forming a group and heading to catch up with other members in a more distant area.

How do the refugee group arrange a place to meet the locals? I would say the best method is if everyone has the same copy of a "pocket atlas of the British Isles" and can somehow communicate the very brief info needed for an accurate fix - page number, reference, date.
lee3

Post by lee3 »

It has always annoyed me that OS use a unique grid reference system rather than standard latitude and longtitude! :x

Its an interesting question .... I have OS maps for everywhere I could need to go in the short term ... And my personal comms wouldn't allow me to contact people outside that area .... So in shtf ....I am unlikely to need at least in short term maps for much further affield but for those people with longer range comms it could be an issue ....its a shame OS dont make a compounded map book lightweight thin laminated paper and comes with a free magnifying glass? Lol it would sell well to preppers! Lol .... I guess a road atlas would be lightweight and reasonably accurate but do any use a standard grid referance ?
Nice post!
I'm in area 1
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Thanks Lee :)

OS Grid Ref is ok, but is not universal. I would suggest any Prepper really needs to know how to take a Lat/Long.

But that is why I thought us all having the same book would be good, because it won't matter what that book uses so long as we all have the same one.

A bird watcher's map would work, because the hide locations could be useful for shelter and some roast duck is always welcome. :D

... But they don't do one that is a proper atlas as far as I can tell.
DundeePrepper

Re: Official UKP Map?

Post by DundeePrepper »

Malthouse wrote:
DundeePrepper wrote:You should have silverlight :o :shock: How on earth do you pass the time playing online games and such without it? :lol:
You already know the answer to this....

I post incessantly on internet fora :lol: :ugeek: :shock:

Ahahaha I took a quick glance and at first it read InterFlora :lol: ... Took me a minute but I got there eventually :oops:
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

preppingsu wrote:For your own resources I suggest OS maps and marking on them things that interest you (in your area or wider afield). This could include abandoned orchards, good foraging areas, other preppers (as you get to know them), future meeting points post shtf (including message drop points).

Other things to include would be useful warehouses for food and equipment that your everyday bod wouldn't think of.

You could laminate sections of the map thus making it smaller, you could design your own mini area maps.

Is that what you are thinking?

To cover the whole of the UK would be a huge task!
I think the "make your own " approach suggested by Sue is probably the best option. If I was being a bit paranoid producing maps marked with warehouses, fuel dumps, gun stores ,military bases and other similiar things might be likely to attract the attention of anti terrorism police.
In addition ,and this relates to the defunct preppers map, judging by the responses in the preppers verbal call thread there would seem little point in having members locations marked as even approaching them would be a problem let alone the bigger problem of such a map falling into the "wrong hands".
Again like so many questions on here the usefulness of such a map would be dependant upon the nature of the event. If as I suspect in a breakdown of society situation petrol would become scarce or completely unavailable long distance travel would become impossible or difficult at least so in reality no more than say a fifty mile radius around ones own base would be required which would at least solve the problem of having one book covering the whole country.
As to arranging meetings and that sort of thing, it would possibly be an idea to have a yearly gathering in each area or maybe countrywide pre arranged by the text system we have here,( changed every year ?). At least in the event of an incident we'd have at least one day and place to meet up.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

I think that is more work that is likely to happen, whereas the ease of spending a few quid on a book that is widely available is much more achievable.

We just need to find the right publication.....
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

grenfell wrote: As to arranging meetings and that sort of thing, it would possibly be an idea to have a yearly gathering in each area or maybe countrywide pre arranged by the text system we have here,( changed every year ?). At least in the event of an incident we'd have at least one day and place to meet up.
A good idea.
However, try to meet with people before any 'event' so you know people by face and either or not you want to meet with them!
But preppers are a funny bunch and although say they want to meet people it very rarely happens...
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Micromap-Compac ... 2328000029

Micromap compact system - might be something to look at.
Thanks to the person who found this and pointed me in the direction.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

That looks good, though I would scrap the holder and just use a magnifying glass myself I think.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

preppingsu wrote:
grenfell wrote: As to arranging meetings and that sort of thing, it would possibly be an idea to have a yearly gathering in each area or maybe countrywide pre arranged by the text system we have here,( changed every year ?). At least in the event of an incident we'd have at least one day and place to meet up.
A good idea.
However, try to meet with people before any 'event' so you know people by face and either or not you want to meet with them!
Actually that's what I meant. Start the yearly thing before any event happens , say arranged for 1st September each year. Then if something were to happen that date is set in stone so to speak for the following year. Forming new friendships based on what one posts on a forum is difficult at any time , probably even harder post event and probably would also need to be more localised as I mentioned earlier.