BOV maybe not what most would go for

Logistics and Transport
vespanutuk

BOV maybe not what most would go for

Post by vespanutuk »

ok so thoughts on my vehicle please.
it was given some money by my uncle after he sold his business to buy a car, I didn't want a big 4x4 but wanted a decent size vehicle that I could tow with, get gear in the back of and could be used off road.
I bought for £1400 a 2003 Subaru forester all weather! people have said to me " it'll be useless off road " but it isn't!
I had to go ratting for someone a couple of weeks ago to a stables 1/2 mile from the nearest road over rutted fields, low box and it never bothered it, even though it was chucking it down, yes it doesn't have the road clearance of my old 2A landrover but its never broken down ( unlike the landrover ) for its size and been a petrol is reasonably efficient on fuel returning around 32 mpg on town use which is the same as my 55 plate fiesta petrol I had before this and is cheaper on insurance that the fiesta which was a bog standard thing with a 1.25 engine.ive got 2 sets of wheels with it, 1 set of 17" alloys with skinny tyres and a set of 15" steels with chunky tyres for winter.
ForgeCorvus

Re: BOV maybe not what most would go for

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Are you happy with it?

'Nuff said ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Jamus86

Post by Jamus86 »

Sugar us are great cars, they were the first to put 4 wheel drive into a salon, it used to be the choice car for a lot of people who fished because it could go off road and didn't cost as much as a land rover to run.
JOE90

Post by JOE90 »

Sounds good, I looked further a field(no pun intended) when looking for a 4x4 as i was fed up of looking at broken and expensive Land Rovers. Subarus have a good reputation and its very grey man as not many would assume its off road abilities. I'm sure you can get lift springs for these that may help with ground clearance.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

The Hamster was wandering about Africa with a Subaru ... seemed to do him fine :)
northern bloke

Post by northern bloke »

I still remember the first Subaru I ever saw, I was taking a short cut across some farm land and the farmer came into the field through the gate with what I thought from a distance was a baige Datsun cherry estate car he was hollering get orf my land out of the window, I wasn't fazed by him and chuckled as between us was a bog and started laughing thinking what and idiot when he drove in to the bog but what a shock I got when he drove right up to me, I ignored his initial threats and asked how the hell did you get that car through there and we ended up talking more about his new car.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Seen as your in north yorks when your in need of a service give these guys a bell for a price

http://www.agmotorsyork.co.uk/AboutUs.htm

(friend of mine works there as a mechanic and erm having seen him spanner at Melbourn rally earlier this year he seems to know his stuff when it comes to scoobys)

The old Justy (shared with the swift) are cracking little go anywhere motors :lol:

in 2010 my old punto got me places 4x4's couldn't with winter tyres it was unstoppable ... heading to Dalby forest from thornton le dale in the heavy snow i passed a Bm 4x4 coming down the hill with all 4 wheels trying to get up it :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
DundeePrepper

Post by DundeePrepper »

This is from a non-driver POV.. I think anything that isn't a van or land/range rover or heavy utility vehicle is going to be your best option. Naturally people will target 4x4's etc if they don't own one themselves and a van just screams.. break into me.. I've got something useful inside.

The obligatory.. not tools left in this vehicle.. just wont suffice :lol:
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
vespanutuk

Post by vespanutuk »

I certainly like the Subaru, no-one seems to pay much attention to it as it doesn't look like an imprezza or sound like one as its got a quieter exhaust than the imprezza, the reasons I bought it were because I wanted something with enough power to tow a trailer full of heavy stuff and it does that without a problem, and I wanted something that I could use off road while doing the pest control work and it does that.
I must admit I was sceptical of its off road abilitys as it does look like any other estate car but it really is good off road.
I read in one of the car guides about these before I bought this one, they said it has the same engine and drive system as the old 2ltr imprezza but better suspension, they then described it s a rally car for the school run.
well its good on road and off road so it'll do me and I would recommend one of the older foresters to anyone, and yes its got enough power to seriously annoy the boy racers too!
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

vespanutuk wrote: ....... and yes its got enough power to seriously annoy the boy racers too!
:twisted:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar