Snow chains

Logistics and Transport
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Snow chains

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

just to add before you go out and buy check what size your car manufacturer advises..... this avoids any insurance implications In my case the size and speed rating are the same as the OEM summer tyres My new punto has alloys as standard and i always ring my insurance to inform them but as i have stayed within Fiats specifications, they are not bothered ... there is a list from the Association of british insurance about it here:

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Do ... tment.ashx

and what the tread looks like if your interested

its worth noting they should be replaced at about 4mm as the sipes (that give grip in the snow) begin to vanish

And my early attempt at a winter survival kit which seems to get bigger every year

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

Socks or chains need to come off a soon as you hit clear road mud & snow tyres are on all winter no need to swap every few feet. I had them on a merc during that bad winter we had a couple years back left soooo many 4x4 spinning their wheels. Get the same size tyre as currently fitted to your car preferably on a pair of scrap yard rims remember most of the time it's cold and wet more often cold and snowy. They have a higher rubber mix to all year round tyres you currently roll this means as the temp drops they stay softer so can grip the road better add the deeper tread helps in the snow too. If you run 6 month on m&s and 6 on all years you don't change tyres as often so long term it balances out the cost.
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?
paratus

Post by paratus »

poppypiesdad wrote:Got myself a set of snow chains last winter from lidl's £20 or so , they are under my seat in the van , had a few practice shots to put them on and stuck myself in a snow drift to see how east it was to get out , got out no problem , snow socks IN MY OPINION are useless and a poor substitute for snow chains .

J
Have to say I kind of agree. Been doing a spot of research and the general consensus is that snow socks SORT OF work well if there's snow everywhere, but they wear out and rip on tarmac; so if your driving around and then go through a tunnel, for example, you may find they've torn by the end. That being said, if your just keeping you vehicle mobile for popping to the shops/school run etc, I think they're a viable and economc alternative.

By the by, you should never go over 30 mph with chains on; thought I'd share that as it was news to me.
2 is 1, 1 is none
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

There have been some really interesting and informative posts, I think I will go with snow chains as I live in a rural and really hilly place but I will be sure to take them off as soon as required, I have seen some on eBay for as little as £20 with great feedback at that price I will probably give them a go !
AREA 10
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Oldarborman wrote:There have been some really interesting and informative posts, I think I will go with snow chains as I live in a rural and really hilly place but I will be sure to take them off as soon as required, I have seen some on eBay for as little as £20 with great feedback at that price I will probably give them a go !

know any vets? if so get a few pair of "CLEAN" disposable long sleeve pvc examination gloves (they type used when they go in up to the shoulder on a Heffa

http://www.yorkvetsupplies.co.uk/produc ... on-gloves/

will keep your arms and hands clean dry and err ever so slightly warm when fitting the chains

goes without saying if doing this at the side of the road watch for passing traffic
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

:lol: great idea andy but I hope the wife doesn't see them she might get the wrong idea :lol:
AREA 10