Food and water in vehicles.

Logistics and Transport
moocher

Food and water in vehicles.

Post by moocher »

Me again,how often do you rotate perishables in your vehicles,espically in summer when it gets hot inside,and Does the water quality/taste suffer in plastic bottles in summer in cars,
And finally what's best mineral water or tap water in plastic bottles.

Re: Food and water in vehicles.

Post by 90. »

I tend to keep 12 .5ltr bottles in my truck and use them, when I'm down to 6 I buy another 2pk's thus I keep rotating the supply and as its in separate bottles I'm not worried about it all getting contaminated or aged.

Water in sealed bottles has a long shelf life if kept in the dark and does not tend to "spoil" but if you refill bottles from the tap it will eventually go off, if you want to use tap water I'd suggest getting bottles made from BPA free nalgene plastic not reused mineral bottles.

I used to carry a 20ltr black plastic can of water and flush it often & dose it with milton but find the bottles more convenient not eco friendly though.
As for food I keep a couple of 24hr ration packs & some flapjacks or muesli bars and replenish as they are used.

regards
paratus

Post by paratus »

Handy hint I use:

I use a 10 lt water Jerry and whenever I refill it, I use a sharpie pen to write the date I filled it on, so I can keep track.

As far as food/water in general, my missus came up with the idea of when foodstuffs are nearing their end date, why not stage a Bug Out exercise where you simulate where and what you'd do in a SHTF situation. On the exercise can use up perishables before restocking and that way they don't go to waste. Added bonus is you can use the exercise to iron out any kinks in you BO plan(s).

(Not a bad idea from someone who when I started prepping was pretty convinced I'd have us all hiding in a shallow foxhole in the garden wearing tin foil hats. She's a convert now I'm happy to say)
2 is 1, 1 is none
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

As I usually keep a pack or 2 of 6x250l water bottles in the back and some nibbles and as my girls know they are there, as you imagine, they don't stay "there" for very long! Funny how even travelling 10 miles to our local main shopping town, they will announce that they are hungry/thirsty and can they have a bottle from the back. In fairness I tend to dive into this stash myself simply coz its cheaper to nibble from that than buy something when you are out n about. So in answer to the question, I replenish them often. Just remember not to keep chocolate in the summer in the boot of your car ... messy!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

I tend to eat and drink my way through my car preps too, so they don't last very long, in fact, I have had to stop stocking up my car with the food cause if I've had a bad day, it is just so tempting to open the boot and grab a nibble out. I have no will power. Instead of stocking what you eat and using it and rotating it, I am going to have to start stocking stuff that I don't particularly like because of this little problem!
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

maxilaura wrote:Instead of stocking what you eat and using it and rotating it, I am going to have to start stocking stuff that I don't particularly like because of this little problem!
and for home use, i recommend tesco everyday value tinned potatoes. foul and bland, but still with calories.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

ha ha, thanks Nick for the recommendation
junmist

Post by junmist »

Not had any problems with water stored it the boot of the car, had tap water in it for a year :o before I even used it as it was for the dog/car over heating and it was fine as for food anything that you just have to add water too I have a car kettle or I keep the john west tuna meals in the car as these have a two/three year life I just check them at the begining of the summer and if they are near the end replace them.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle