Logistics and Transport
northern bloke

Re: Does anyone use CB?

Post by northern bloke »

Well like I said not that savvy but good luck
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Picking up plenty on Cept CB and got the Baofeng picking up coastguard from 80 miles away, so plenty of signals about. :)
northern bloke

Post by northern bloke »

I was out in the car earlier and getting plenty signals and could hear people banging on about skip and making some good contacts but come home on the homemade dipole connected to a windsurfing mast SWR 1.1 and not so good is frustrating, Sadly its beginning to look like I may have to spend some mullah on an antenna for home use :cry:
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

northern bloke wrote:I was out in the car earlier and getting plenty signals and could hear people banging on about skip and making some good contacts but come home on the homemade dipole connected to a windsurfing mast SWR 1.1 and not so good is frustrating, Sadly its beginning to look like I may have to spend some mullah on an antenna for home use :cry:
what coax feed are you using rg58 the thin stuff or 213 the thick stuff? or you could try a j pole like this one http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/ind ... ic=46816.0.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
northern bloke

Post by northern bloke »

Using RG 58, so remember I have forgotten more than I know (blessed are Statin drugs) to make the J pole antenna I assume you use the same length of wire as the dipole but instead of halving and feeding from the middle you leave complete but 3/4 lets say on the mast and form a J with the other 1/4 and solder the coax across up from the bottom, if this is right is there a set distance across the bottom of the J or could I just come down the mast 3/4 length and wrap it half way around the base of the mast and the other 1/4 up the other side and soldering the feed wires say 8 to 10 inches up between the two?
munchh

Post by munchh »

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0990996672

When got back into radio, cb was first, but I messed about and spent way more than £30 with antennas that were just not up to it, in the end I had to agree my mate was right and bought a 1/2 wave silver rod, £30 delivered and it just gets you out there, you cant go wrong, im sure ill be told im wrong, but on a budget this is the way to go.

I have 2 now, so I can put a link up locally with no problem, ive used them on a pole banged in the ground, only 4foot off the ground and I was getting at least 5 miles, with it on my house its more like 15 in the direction there are no hills.

if you want something that works, this is it, there are second hand ones about, but for £30, its a no brainer. :geek:

ps. There are loads on the bay I just did a search for the cheapest with no postage and this is it, no affiliation and all that.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
northern bloke

Post by northern bloke »

I understand where your coming from munchh, in the past I have used such an antenna with great results and its actually frustrating for me that my local CB shop does one for 25 quid that I know will more than do the job from an actual good working perspective but I was trying to be a bit stealthy, if I can get a wire antenna working well then fit it to the house or leading to something else that looks like its the feed to a dummy TV antenna or as innocent looking as a wire up the side of a flag pole to mount a flag on or double up for that purpose then that's a result for me.
MizerD

Post by MizerD »

I don't really know the principles regarding operating a CB radio but out of interest is the a band or wavelength in use that has been chosen by preppers to use if TS does indeed HTF? I'd be surprised if there isn't a prepper community out there on their own wavelength but like I said I'm a total noob to the CB world.

Oh, and if their isn't, do you think we should establish one if its possible.
The only thing more valuable than the things you carry, is knowing how to make and maintain them.
munchh

Post by munchh »

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/large-cb-a ... -whip.html
I get the stealth thing ive played about alot with it, but it normally comes with large compromise in performance.
what about a good old tank whip, I had one on a mag mount on mg metal shed, was ok for local, but wasnt really high enough, I was going to put it on my house roof (its flat) on an old car wheel with 4x ground plain wires, but went for the silver rod in the end.
the problem with things like horizontal coax dipoles and the like is that they are very directional, you can fit one in you loft or on the eves of the house, pretty low profile, it just never quite did enough for me.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
lee3

Post by lee3 »

MizerD wrote:I don't really know the principles regarding operating a CB radio but out of interest is the a band or wavelength in use that has been chosen by preppers to use if TS does indeed HTF? I'd be surprised if there isn't a prepper community out there on their own wavelength but like I said I'm a total noob to the CB world.

Oh, and if their isn't, do you think we should establish one if its possible.
Hi there has been talk of setting up our own frequency but I believe it all comes at a cost and there are plenty of free to use alternatives some of which have further capabilities in a SHTF scenario here's a link to interesting frequencies

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9173&hilit=frequencys

Also a link to some good kit

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9186&hilit=cb+monitor

As far as CB goes I believe earlier it was sort of settled on as ch13 to monitor? Its what I leave mine on anyway lol

There is loads of comms stuff on here though well worth trawling through there's some great information and tips

Lee
I'm in area 1