Does anyone use CB?

Logistics and Transport
Donquay

Re: Does anyone use CB?

Post by Donquay »

Hey Lee that is great info thanks for posting it up. I dusted off my old CB but it has packed up! eBay here I come!!
lee3

Post by lee3 »

Your welcome
To be honest I dont post much anymore apart from things like that and occasional comments (for want of a 'like' button)
Just about everything I need to know is on here somewhere :D
Might take a while to find using search tab and trawling through years of shtuf
But its amazing what you come across while searching!....problem is I'm too easily distracted lol
Lee
I'm in area 1
Donquay

Post by Donquay »

I know what you mean!
WarPrepper

Post by WarPrepper »

I've been considering cb recently
The main question Im considering is security
What sort of range are we looking at. If you reply someone knows your local?
What would the pros/ cons be... Especially if your a solo surviver.
Is it worth it.
Help would be appreciated
If you can't live by yourself - don't hold me back.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

War prepper take a look here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9014.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

WarPrepper wrote:The main question Im considering is security
What sort of range are we looking at. If you reply someone knows your local?
What would the pros/ cons be... Especially if your a solo surviver.
Is it worth it.
Hi WP

Security - CB is not at all secure, encryption is not allowed and anyone with intermediate knowledge can gauge a transmitter's approximate range so if you have two locations to do that from then it is not hard to narrow down the person on the other end. The key to keeping yourself safe would be using it as least as possible, or moving after using.

Range - Varies hugely, the frequency that CB works at (27MHz) is quite "bouncy" so it can travel huge distances if the weather is right. But yes, someone will know if you are nearby.

Pros - It is the UK's official emergency network, so people will be using it.

Cons - Meaningful setups need to be building or vehicle mounted, anything small and light simply won't do what you need.

Worth It? - Yes, but only really because it is cheap to get started.

As I often used to say... The pocket size handheld radios covering VHF and UHF offer more functionality for your money. With them you can listen in on broadcast radio, emergency services, search teams, maritime activity etc etc.
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Never realised cb is the official emergency network channel 9 I presume
What official body's will be transmitting shtf ?
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Rearfang wrote:What official body's will be transmitting shtf ?
Yes indeed, Ch9.

It depends on each area's disaster planning, local councils used to have a CB set somewhere in the works depot - not sure if they still do. But more likely is that a country or area-wide network of volunteers would spring up. Much like US Ham users did after Katrina.

On the topic of Ham Radio, there is an organisation called RAYNET who are Ham guys that offer their services to emergency communications and who get called in when the 999 services Tetra radio go belly up. Worth looking up your local group if you are interested in this sort of thing, though be prepared for geekville :ugeek:
Gwiz

Post by Gwiz »

I have used UK CB for some time. As others have remarked about their areas, in my area it appears to have completely died out too.
However, all that means is that it works quite well for my wife and I as there is far less clutter from others using it. ;)
We also run a multimode radio that is on the 11 meter band. Not wildly expensive at around 140 pounds. Its a kpo 5000. (this seems to be a clone type of unit that's sold under different names)
Our current home is in the worst possible location for radio, being at the bottom of a valley with line of site only in two directions!
What is this life, so full of care, we have no time to prepare.
(Apologies to W H Davies)
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Gwiz wrote:I have used UK CB for some time. As others have remarked about their areas, in my area it appears to have completely died out too.
However, all that means is that it works quite well for my wife and I as there is far less clutter from others using it. ;)
We also run a multimode radio that is on the 11 meter band. Not wildly expensive at around 140 pounds. Its a kpo 5000. (this seems to be a clone type of unit that's sold under different names)
Our current home is in the worst possible location for radio, being at the bottom of a valley with line of site only in two directions!

Hi Gwiz, THe terrain you describe is not so critical at CB frequencies, More critical is the aerial. I would be careful not to transmit outside of the CB allocated frequencies as you could end up with Ofcom at your door.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.