Maps- Marking out

Logistics and Transport
areal_121

Maps- Marking out

Post by areal_121 »

Hi,

I have a chosen bug out location, near and far for different situations but I know there are places in all directions which would need to be avoided like the plague incase diasters hits, like nulcear plants, chemical plants ect.

But how much is a wide berth?

Wanting to mark up on the maps the areas I shouldnt go near and sort out a couple of trails.

Any suggestions>?
SaintJimmy671

Re: Maps- Marking out

Post by SaintJimmy671 »

What I've been doing is looking up walking routes in the areas near my BOLs and marking them on my maps to give me an idea of how close people could be. I suppose it depends where about you are (I'm up in the Scottish Highlands so there's a lot of popular walking routes all over the shop, and plenty websites and guides about them, too) but my thinking is that serious walkers are the ones who will know lots of the places that will make good BOLs, because they like venturing off the beaten track so maybe follow a good trail on the map then divert off it when you get near something that looks good (a big loch beside a forest etc.)?

I suspect you wouldn't need to be more than a couple of miles from a walking route etc. as long as you planned on keeping your head down and not building any skyscrapers out in the wilderness :D
"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Mark Twain
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Don't mark on the maps,mark on several plastic sheets.

That way you can have routes and caches marked and only you know which of the sheets is correct.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Or even on tracing paper - you can use greaseproof paper for that, don't need to buy "proper" tracing paper.

And to investigate, without buying maps, or even to work on a route you don't use very much, check this out: http://footpathmaps.com/ there's a certain amount of free information on there every day, but it runs out by evening time.
SaintJimmy671

Post by SaintJimmy671 »

Should have thought of that before, thanks guys :)

Off back to get replacement maps. What a numpty :oops:
"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Mark Twain
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

SaintJimmy671 wrote:Should have thought of that before, thanks guys :)

Off back to get replacement maps. What a numpty :oops:

Try your library and photocopy theirs ;)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
hawkafr

Post by hawkafr »

The plastic sheet idea is a good one you could have one for possible fuel suppiles,medicine,food,water etc
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

areal_121 wrote:Hi,

I have a chosen bug out location, near and far for different situations but I know there are places in all directions which would need to be avoided like the plague incase diasters hits, like nulcear plants, chemical plants ect.

But how much is a wide berth?

Wanting to mark up on the maps the areas I shouldnt go near and sort out a couple of trails.

Any suggestions>?
In answer to your question, a lot will depend on wind direction for the radioactive/ chemical Plume. If you are up wind you can be closer obviously. I would think a minimum radius of 5 Miles would be a starting point. I would avoid as far as possible.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
stevegray

Post by stevegray »

... or print your own maps. Bing maps provides Ordnance Survey maps for free. Disadvantage is you need a pretty good printer (laser is obviously best), advantage is that you can print the exact area you are interested in. Goto http://www.bing.com/maps/, zoom in a bit, and where it says "Road" along the top, select "Ordnance Survey" instead.