SHTF Woodland area needed per person

Logistics and Transport
poppypiesdad

Re: SHTF Woodland area needed per person

Post by poppypiesdad »

rik_uk3 wrote:
I'd best get the dead wood/ seasoned wood out of my woodpile then. Have you tried burning 'fresh' wood?

Yes I have and its a bit of a lost cause , was a Scots pine that was thinned out , probably 5-6 inch in diameter , cut it into 4 inch blocks , bits did burn bit only on a very hot fire . Totally agree seasoned is best , and pine is a lost cause anyway

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

J23 wrote: I spoke with my wife and she said - living in shtf situation will have no sense - I'd rather to die than live like savage
Did you tell her that we prep so we don't have to live like savages ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
J23

Post by J23 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
J23 wrote: I spoke with my wife and she said - living in shtf situation will have no sense - I'd rather to die than live like savage
Did you tell her that we prep so we don't have to live like savages ?
I told her that we need to keep supplies of water and food for 2 weeks and rotate it on first in first out basis. Se was on about total collapse rather than 2 weeks long disaster ;-)
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

some of us prefer to live rather than die, whatever the circumstances. I always said I will survive because I don't fancy the alternative! :lol:
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
StealthLee

Post by StealthLee »

Hi, I read the first page and the last, seems the answers have gone totally off topic,
anyway my advice would be (which is my plan of action, my primary bug out location is less than a mile from my home and is set in about a 2 & 1/2 square mile area of fields, woodland, a lake, several ponds, a stream, plenty of wildlife and land to grow food for the long term.
I plan on trying to control as much of this area as i (and those select few who are with me) can, if the SHTF then we will all end up doing some pretty horrible things to protect those we love, there will be no point trying to reason with gangs and hoards or other groups such as ''you all stay over that end of the area and we'll stay over here'' - ''boundaries'', because you will wake up tied to a tree or worse and your mrs's, well lets not go there....
sorry if i offend anyone, the truth usually hurts someone.

stay safe.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

StealthLee wrote:Hi, I read the first page and the last, seems the answers have gone totally off topic,
anyway my advice would be (which is my plan of action, my primary bug out location is less than a mile from my home and is set in about a 2 & 1/2 square mile area of fields, woodland, a lake, several ponds, a stream, plenty of wildlife and land to grow food for the long term.
I plan on trying to control as much of this area as i (and those select few who are with me) can, if the SHTF then we will all end up doing some pretty horrible things to protect those we love, there will be no point trying to reason with gangs and hoards or other groups such as ''you all stay over that end of the area and we'll stay over here'' - ''boundaries'', because you will wake up tied to a tree or worse and your mrs's, well lets not go there....

stay safe.
all very good I assume you own this ideal piece of land
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Hamradioop wrote:
StealthLee wrote:Hi, I read the first page and the last, seems the answers have gone totally off topic,

stay safe.
all very good I assume you own this ideal piece of land
HamRadio's comment is 100% valid but let's assume it's your land to do as you please with. I'm intrigued to know what wildlife is there and how you plan to stop this wildlife from cultivating the crops you intend to grow. I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely interested to know how it's possible to protect crops adjacent to woodlands because I sure as hell can't do it with enough success to provide a sustainable, rotated, balanced food source for two people, let alone a group. I'm no expert but from my experience it's impossible without making it highly visible. As for cultivating the wildlife, I was in roughly the same area of woodland for most of the week last week and it was like a desert. Nothing even slightly edible came by. I could have used my local knowledge to find suitable wildlife on neighbouring property but then, in a SHTF scenario, I'd be just like the marauding gangs and hordes you mentioned, wouldn't I?

Can you help me out with some advice how to sucessfully cultivate crops in or adjacent to woodland without the need to install highly visible 2.1m tall deer fences?
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

StealthLee wrote: I plan on trying to control as much of this area as i (and those select few who are with me) can,

stay safe.
That select few... are they 42 commando by any chance? If the land is yours in the scenario you're talking about, fair play and good luck, you'll need it, if it belongs to someone else and you intend to just take it, then you could be a part of the problem.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
J23

Post by J23 »

stay safe.
sorry Rambo but if it is less than 1 mile from your house what is the reason to bug out? stop watching action movies, start watching comedies :D
and what will be the horrible things? eating with dirty forks?
if you have people who you love maybe start thinking how to improve their life in stead of dreamming of some cheap movie style scenario, other than that you're just wasting yours and theirs life and time
that's how I see your prepping :D :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0tDU37q2M
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

No response to my post above. Either it's

A) You're ignoring me

Or

B) I've pointed out a flaw in your plan and you're coming to terms with the fact that bugging out to the 'woods' essentially means you will be eating bugs.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors