SHTF Woodland area needed per person

Logistics and Transport
Plymtom

Re: SHTF Woodland area needed per person

Post by Plymtom »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:No response to my post above. Either it's

A) You're ignoring me

Or

B) I've pointed out a flaw in your plan and you're coming to terms with the fact that bugging out to the 'woods' essentially means you will be eating bugs.

If you click his underlined name the profile says last visited about an hour after his/her own post, if Hamradio or anyone else's comments have been seen the person did not sign in other than that, it's either another quick hit and run or just someone slow to respond.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
StealthLee

Post by StealthLee »

Hamradioop wrote: all very good I assume you own this ideal piece of land
No its public land.
Briggs 2.0 wrote: -I'm intrigued to know what wildlife is there
-and how you plan to stop this wildlife from cultivating the crops you intend to grow.
-As for cultivating the wildlife, I was in roughly the same area of woodland for most of the week last week and it was like a desert. Nothing even slightly edible came by.
-I could have used my local knowledge to find suitable wildlife on neighbouring property but then, in a SHTF scenario, I'd be just like the marauding gangs and hordes you mentioned, wouldn't I?
-Can you help me out with some advice how to sucessfully cultivate crops in or adjacent to woodland without the need to install highly visible 2.1m tall deer fences?
- the usual wildlife, we dont have deer or wild boar here, the largest wildlife is fox, swan, badger, owl. (oh and dog)
- hmmmm (cause for thought)
- not seemed to have that problem here (yet)
- true true, guess that falls under the "horrible things" - "needs must"
- as said we dont have the larger prey here but after giving it some thought, just an idea and something to play with, where said larger prey isnt a problem, solar powered electrified chicken wire.
J23 wrote: -if it is less than 1 mile from your house what is the reason to bug out?
-and what will be the horrible things?
-eating with dirty forks?
- prepping and survival (as i'm sure you already know) is about being able to adapt and having as many options open to you as possible, bug in, bug out, primary and secondary locations (if not more).
- the things i know i will have to do to others to protect me and mine, dare i say anymore about the lengths people will go to.
Briggs 2.0 wrote:No response to my post above. Either it's
A) You're ignoring me
Or
B) I've pointed out a flaw in your plan and you're coming to terms with the fact that bugging out to the 'woods' essentially means you will be eating bugs.
- sorry to all for not replying sooner, not been able to log on, been really busy lately.
- plans always have flaws, ha ha ha yeah eating bugs is a cert. dont forget the 'red wrigglers'.
Plymtom wrote: other than that, it's either another quick hit and run or just someone slow to respond.
- been busy, not here to just pass by, i still got a lot to learn as i'm sure we can all say we all still learning each day, there is always more to learn, whether we think we may need the knowledge or not, i'm a salvager and a bit of a hoarder, i say "its better to have something and not know what for yet, than to need something and have nothing".

thanks to all commenters & repliers, even those that made me laugh, its always to have help to see things from different angles, its easy to overlook things when ya thinking about something too much, and some have given me cause for thought.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

@Stealthlee

We get a few posts on here from people who plan to bug out and live under a tarp with nothing but a crossbow and a spork so forgive us if we were a little harsh in our responses, particularly when the posts include mention of forceful occupation of land that is not owned by you. My advice, for what it's worth, would be to take time out to think through your bug out plan with the specific intention of coming up with all the what-ifs you can think of to find flaws in your plan. My first thought would be to visit your preferred BOL location and run through every what-if you can think of, starting with what if this public land is already the chosen spot for several other dozen families and they are their first. Unless you are armed to the teeth, force is perhaps not the best option so what's option 2?

solar powered electrified chicken wire - that's not a bad idea. I would be surprised if you do not have resident deer or at least deer that pass through this area, it's just that you've not seen them yet. Standard height electric fences won't stop them if there's food on the other side.

Good luck with your preps and plans. We're here to offer advice if we can.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
J23

Post by J23 »

StealthLee wrote:
J23 wrote: -if it is less than 1 mile from your house what is the reason to bug out?
-and what will be the horrible things?
-eating with dirty forks?
- prepping and survival (as i'm sure you already know) is about being able to adapt and having as many options open to you as possible, bug in, bug out, primary and secondary locations (if not more).
- the things i know i will have to do to others to protect me and mine, dare i say anymore about the lengths people will go to.
I am looking forward to topics like: "how to bug out from lounge to bedroom and what crisps and cider should I pack into my bugout bag.
Get real, buging out 1 mile away from home is stupid, the only situation when I would do it is serious damage of the house, other than that you are just dreaming. and I know it as my dad Rambo and my mum G.I. Jane told me so :lol:
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

StealthLee wrote:Hi, I read the first page and the last, seems the answers have gone totally off topic,
anyway my advice would be (which is my plan of action, my primary bug out location is less than a mile from my home and is set in about a 2 & 1/2 square mile area of fields, woodland, a lake, several ponds, a stream, plenty of wildlife and land to grow food for the long term.
I plan on trying to control as much of this area as i (and those select few who are with me) can, if the SHTF then we will all end up doing some pretty horrible things to protect those we love, there will be no point trying to reason with gangs and hoards or other groups such as ''you all stay over that end of the area and we'll stay over here'' - ''boundaries'', because you will wake up tied to a tree or worse and your mrs's, well lets not go there....
sorry if i offend anyone, the truth usually hurts someone.

stay safe.
ROFLMFAO

Just be careful you don't run into a fella called Rick Grimes, otherwise you might just feel pretty stupid when you find out!!!