Thoughts - Mitsu shogun

Logistics and Transport
Rusty337

Thoughts - Mitsu shogun

Post by Rusty337 »

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... to-content

Im quite interested in this but dont want to get burned - any thoughts my fellow preppers?
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week./

Democratic republic of Area 11
unsure

Re: Thoughts - Mitsu shogun

Post by unsure »

these are a good solid 4x4 , the down side is the amount of electric bits the need to run ,
if yoU looking for a day to day run about then you`ll have to go long way to get better . if you want a bov then its the worse buy you can make ,. they have sensors for every thing and these would be hard to get hold of .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Rusty337

Post by Rusty337 »

unsure wrote:these are a good solid 4x4 , the down side is the amount of electric bits the need to run ,
if yoU looking for a day to day run about then you`ll have to go long way to get better . if you want a bov then its the worse buy you can make ,. they have sensors for every thing and these would be hard to get hold of .
im pretty much in a position to spend about 3k on a used 4x4 after my motorbike got nicked last week and waiting on the insurance pay out.

any recomendations on a 4x4 that isnt a landrover? as insurance on these are rediculous for under25s ,

Sheepster

Post by Sheepster »

Is there another 4x4 that isnt a landrover ? ( stands back and prepares for a shtf situation :twisted: )
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Yip a lot better .

Nissan patrol , Land Cruiser . Just look around and see what the major aid agency's and the UN use in the most inhospitable remote barren parts of the world usually during emergencies and disasters .

Land rovers have there place with the armed forces , usually in the reme workshops being fixed , again . But there are plenty of better equipped and more able and reliable than a land rover .

Saying that going for a series 2 or 3 with a Carb engine , simple electrics ,simple mechanicals and the ability to use a starting handle will make it one of the best working 4x4 's in a SHTF event . All you need to add is petrol and a spark and away you go .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
unsure

Post by unsure »

nissans patrol`s suffer from whats called rotten arse syndrome , the rear half of the chassis rots from inside out . what can look like a small hole soon becomes a huge one when you try to find good metal to weld to .
landcruisers are a good option but still a bit pricey .
stay away from td5 landrovers and free landers .if you can find a good daihatsu feildman then your on to a winner .
toyota`s are worth a look aswell .
have you given any thought to an older shogun/pajaro .

have a look at this example .

http://www.northwest4x4.co.uk/forum/ads_item.php?id=572
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

unsure wrote:nissans patrol`s suffer from whats called rotten arse syndrome , the rear half of the chassis rots from inside out . what can look like a small hole soon becomes a huge one when you try to find good metal to weld to .
Perhaps on the older ones but I've got a 54 plate with over 100000 on the clock and very little rust anywhere.

Totally forgot about Daihatsu Fortrac's are hard to beat 3.5t pulling power swb , the fieldmans are just fortracs without seats ?

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Sheepster

Post by Sheepster »

Thought that might trigger a response lol, Cheapness and availability of parts keeps me a disco fan. If your vehicle isn't leaking or rusting its not a proper 4x4
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I am biased but I am into month 3 of my pajero ownership (1992 2.5d 5d) and am loving it, brings a smile to my face every time I get in it, for those who dont know the Pajero is the import version of the shogun, higher spec all round and if you can find one with " the winter pack" higher spec still (twin battery's uprated heating ride height etc etc).

The 2.8d is the one to go for simple has a bit more power but more importantly has a cam chain not belt
Rusty337

Post by Rusty337 »

Always appreciate your input guy. nothing better than getting a no bollocks opinion of things. What do you guys think

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... to-content

Rusty