Motorcycles

Logistics and Transport
Rusty337

Motorcycles

Post by Rusty337 »

So since I started prepping I've noticed that throughout all the movies where the world is in a post apocalyptic state there always seems to be someone with a motorcycle travelling pretty much without hassle. So it got me thinking of everyone with their 4x4s getting stuck in the traffic jams just as much as everyone else. I bought my first motorbike in March last year and it's an absolute godsend when the time change mes to weaving through masses of commuters. I would recommend to any preppers to try and get hold of some form of motorbike as a last resort. Please have a look through the recommendations below. I am in no way a motorcycle guru but these ones appeal to me for a big out vehicle. Enjoy

Honda MSX 125
Honda CBF125
Yamaha WR125x
Yamaha TTR 125
Really any off road bike or suitable touring bike would do.

Personally when the funds become available I will be trading in my CBR for a Honda NC700x
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week./

Democratic republic of Area 11
unsure

Re: Motorcycles

Post by unsure »

i agree bikes are easier to get through traffic and as generally quicker to get about on .
have you thought about how much gear you can carry and how exposed you would be to any one with a simple stick , let alone any other kind of weapon .
i think i`ll be taking my chances in a 4x4 .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
badgersden

Post by badgersden »

i have to agree a motorcycle would be easier to get around on i would prefer to use it as a mode of transport from a base for scavenging or foraging,would have to have a good fuel tank good choice of bikes mind, parts would be easier to get then 4x4 parts everyone would be after them,you can use panniers to store more items,
with weapons its more difficult then you think to knock someone off a bike with a stick your more likely to get injured yourself i would be more worried about cable stretched across the road at head height,it is also very difficult to hit a moving target such as a bike the Taliban use motorcycles to great effect in Afghanistan against the most modern weaponry in the world

i would say there are pros and cons for all vehicles be nice to have a 4x4 as a base and then a motorcycle for exploring and foraging
TJCNI

Post by TJCNI »

I had a wee Honda CG125 for a few years before getting my full license and getting a Honda CB400, both were great wee bikes, the cg125 is a single cylinder 4 stroke, basically bullet proof, not much load ability but around 80mpg standard!
The 400 gave more speed and pulling power obviously more expensive to run. If you are going for a bike make sure its a 4 stroke, 2 strokes are just not worth the hassle! with the CG125 there was nothing at all that I couldnt repair myself!
unsure

Post by unsure »

i wasn`t thinking so much as knocking off the rider ,. more a `through the wheel ` type of thing .its a long shot of some one being able to do it but you never know .

incidentally ,

i made my daughter a promise the day she was born that i`d stop riding motorbikes , she`s 24 now and i haven`t been on a bike since .
how ever if worse comes to worse i think she`d forgive me if i did get another .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
badgersden

Post by badgersden »

here we go problem solved,a bit for everyone lol

http://bikesandtrucks.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... t-mk2.html
TorNicho

Post by TorNicho »

unsure wrote:i wasn`t thinking so much as knocking off the rider ,. more a `through the wheel ` type of thing .its a long shot of some one being able to do it but you never know
Mythbusters proved this doesn't really work, generally it just snaps the stick. But as a rider myself, I can say that it takes quite a bit to get a rider off a bike.
At the moment I have 650 single cylinder thumper with a straight through exhaust, very loud. I'm going to be looking for something quieter.

You can also tow a 1m wide trailer with a bike on a full licence. More storage = more gear.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

TorNicho wrote:
You can also tow a 1m wide trailer with a bike on a full licence. More storage = more gear.
More storage , more gear , more weight , more fuel, more width kinda misses the point with nipping in and out of traffic .

Not be better off with a suzuki jimny ? or a 4x4 and go real offroad
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Rusty337

Post by Rusty337 »

poppypiesdad wrote:
TorNicho wrote:
More storage , more gear , more weight , more fuel, more width kinda misses the point with nipping in and out of traffic .

Not be better off with a suzuki jimny ? or a 4x4 and go real offroad
Have you not seen Edinburgh City centre in rush hour? I will be laughing At all the people stuck in the jams on every road. will no doubt come back to rob them after too
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week./

Democratic republic of Area 11
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

yes m8 , work in Edinburgh most days and been stuck in the best of them from the snow ,to the spill on the bridge, to the winds closing the bridge and numerous accidents that have blocked and closed roads and always survived, but thats preparation for you , motorcycles , not really a bug out vehicle with lots of kit , scouting vehicle top bananas.

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.