Motorcycles

Logistics and Transport
gm_prepper

Re: Motorcycles

Post by gm_prepper »

I would suggest anyone looking into getting one of anyone thinking about it go for 4-stroke engines and not 2-stroke as a lot of older trials bikes are. As sturdy as they are they're also higher maintenence, more likely to have parts fail as they run hot (ie piston rings n so on) and also very loud. Don't get me wrong 4 strokes can be loud but not so high pitched so the sound won't travel as much. They can also be made a little quieter either through exhaust mods or just using a higher gear at low revs. Good if recon needed or new area so as not to attract attention. Look for something that has more common wheel sizing so as easier to find if needed, so no 20" wheels lol.
Also good to go with something older, pref with a kick start, less electronics to go wrong and with a little knowledge on the bike and it'll be near enough SHTF resistant as possible.
"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness, and truth are absent."

Area 4
Padds

Post by Padds »

My bike will be Plan A for getting out of London fast if the SHTF, assuming of course I can get home and to it before all hell breaks loose. It occurs to me that if things out on the street get desperate very quickly then desperate people do desperate things and it wouldn't be long before someone knocks me off - either another vehicle or someone simply jumping in my path.

Plan B is to bug in till and then make it out of town on the river, but I haven't fully fleshed that one out yet...
zues

Post by zues »

i like the idea of dirt bikes as a bug out vehicle. has its good points and bad points. which is why i decided to go for a quad very capable of off road driving can load it up with kit as i have front and back shelves and i was also really considering a little modified trailer. modified as in rasied high and bigger off road wheels on it just so i no i have clearance and fatter tyres for grip. i think this kind of transport is a bit more convinent for those preppers that do want to bug out to the countryside however not really good if have family to take aswell unless you have a quad each but will get pretty expensive.

quads are the way to go preppers.....
unsure

Post by unsure »

i`d be a bit concerned about the availability of parts .
you get a good 4wd one and theres no stopping it , like you say good for carrying kit and 2 body`s .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

My bike was my only form of transport for many years , trust me gents they aint good at carrying stuff
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

gm_prepper wrote:I would suggest anyone looking into getting one of anyone thinking about it go for 4-stroke engines and not 2-stroke as a lot of older trials bikes are. As sturdy as they are they're also higher maintenence, more likely to have parts fail as they run hot (ie piston rings n so on) and also very loud. Don't get me wrong 4 strokes can be loud but not so high pitched so the sound won't travel as much. They can also be made a little quieter either through exhaust mods or just using a higher gear at low revs. Good if recon needed or new area so as not to attract attention. Look for something that has more common wheel sizing so as easier to find if needed, so no 20" wheels lol.
Also good to go with something older, pref with a kick start, less electronics to go wrong and with a little knowledge on the bike and it'll be near enough SHTF resistant as possible.

Yep four strokes are more reliable, but 2 strokes are far far simpler to work on, thats why we had all those czs mzs and jawas from the eastern block a few years back :D

dont bother with the wheel thing bike wheels are generally not interchangeable unless with a similar model