Car Bad Weather Tips

Logistics and Transport
tanstaafl

Car Bad Weather Tips

Post by tanstaafl »

Having just watched a news report on the people stuck in the snow down south , no water no food :roll: some things jumped out at me and I thought I would start a thread for poor weather driving tips.

I will kick off with a couple

1) Be careful when using the hazard lights if stuck for a while , they will drain the battery.

2) Use rear fog light with care, they are only for -100m visibility and will blind the driver behind if not switched off , http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-ca ... hts/217931, I personally use them the same as main beam ie they go off when a car appears behind.
mushroom

Re: Car Bad Weather Tips

Post by mushroom »

Don't let your car idle - it will use as much petrol idling for just one minute as it will to restart your engine.
TJCNI

Post by TJCNI »

From an emergency services personal point of view - fog lights can be a life saver in heavy rain etc other than just fog.
Warning triangles are underrated.
Dont think if you have a 4x4 you will not skid in ice or snow!
If there are ambulance / police at a traffic accident please don't slow down to have a look!
Steer into skids, to help stop a skid - stop whatever started it, if its acceleration or braking let off slightly, steer slow and drive steady!

Obvious ones - keep a heavy coat in the car, wee bit of food and water helps alot! if you have kids keep a small travel game.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Is your trip really necessary? - And I mean necessary. Before retiring, I had a boss who said if it was that bad don't bother leaving home just ring in to let him know.

He would rather you be alive and catch up on work then die trying to get in.

Loved working for him, and funnily enough no one abused that offer.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

TJCNI wrote:From an emergency services personal point of view - fog lights can be a life saver in heavy rain etc other than just fog.

Agree BUT only if it reduces visibility massively, having them on in normal rain is a nightmare for following drivers (and will get you pulled by plod), as a professional driver I hate foggy mornings, not because of the fog, but because I know I am going be blinded by idiots who leave them on when visibility improves and then usually for the next 3 weeks :roll:

Highway Code

Rule 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

And for those who have fogoton ( A lot of us I expect :D )

Many of the rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence.
TJCNI

Post by TJCNI »

Very true in regards to being blinded.

If you get stuck in snow, your car will be colder than outside if the engine is off, if the engine is on open a window, carbon monoxide is bad!
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

1) Be careful when using the hazard lights if stuck for a while , they will drain the battery
also when you are stuck in a queue the car behind knows you are stopped. only the cars at the back and front need them on.

fog lights only in bad visibility. then when it gets better turn them off.
Dont think if you have a 4x4 you will not skid in ice or snow!
4x4 twice the traction not twice the breaking.. if a normal car will skid so will you! went to 3 RTC yesterday, all 4x4s and skidded into something harder and less mobile..
If there are ambulance / police at a traffic accident please don't slow down to have a look!
all rubber neckers should be shot.. nuf said.. also unrelated. please dont film me when i do CPR in the street on a patient.. mobile phones with cameras great for somethings but let emergency services do our jobs. no need to film it too.

keep in a high gear with low revs. always helps in snow and ice. dont make sudden changes in direction, acceleration or braking..

Obvious ones - keep a heavy coat in the car, wee bit of food and water helps alot! if you have kids keep a small travel game.
obvious but often ignored. if you do have this life is so much easier and comfier.. also carry a book or something. and a battery radio. keeps you entertained and you can turn engine off.
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day..
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life..
EddieEnzyme

Post by EddieEnzyme »

These: http://heinnie.com/Hand-Warmers-Large-S ... -0-0-5955/

Are great for comfort and if you're stuck for a few hours in the cold, potentially a life saver.

I keep 2 in a plastic box from Wilko, along with a few lightsticks (hang one from your aerial to attract attention or around the kids necks if you have to leave the vehicle. ) A decent head torch. Some cereal bars, some nuts & raisins, lithium batteries, a small radio (so you can listen for traffic reports without flattening your car battery,) and in a stuff bag a reflective coat, gloves, socks & a woolly hat.