Storing petrol advice

Logistics and Transport
12mp82

Re: Storing petrol advice

Post by 12mp82 »

the only signs i`ve seen say that it must be put into a propper container .
I guess that a proper container is the one described in the law relating to the subject, which is 5ltr plastic or 10ltr metal, as they say in some circles Ignorance of the law is no defence. 8-)

But if you are feeling lucky, then who are we to guide ;)
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

paratus

Post by paratus »

Evening all,

Just reading through this after a long hiatus from the group/site.

Does Diesel have a shelf life? As with many of my other questions posed on please excuse my ignorance (as well as laziness: I'd rather get a straight answer here than 12 differing ones from the internet as a whole!)
2 is 1, 1 is none
unsure

Post by unsure »

imo , diesel fuel will last untreated for around 12 months , add a good dose of stabiliser to it and it should last 2 years .any longer than that and i would recomend you filter it before using it .also worth noting ,fill any fuel container to the top , the more you can get in it the less moisture its likely to absorbe over time .
a 200 litre barrel will actually hold 212 ,so that will give you an idea as to how much air space is in it .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

This may be wort a listen. As well as covering storage it mentions a new stabaliser claimed to keep fuel viable for up to 12 years, and even revive old fuel.
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/harri ... el-storage
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4
Frum89

Post by Frum89 »

PRI-D for me it sounds excellent especially if it will revive old fuel. I also liked the using a vehicle as a generator idear I hadn't thought of that now I don't have to worry so much because I don't own a Genny yet.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

paratus wrote:Evening all,

Just reading through this after a long hiatus from the group/site.

Does Diesel have a shelf life? As with many of my other questions posed on please excuse my ignorance (as well as laziness: I'd rather get a straight answer here than 12 differing ones from the internet as a whole!)

there you go

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_interne ... ge_ADF.pdf

j
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
external

Post by external »

As we live 15 miles from the nearest petrol station I am going to have diesel and petrol storage as my first prepping job. Currently only have 2.5l canister of each which is nowhere near enough. I'll have a read up on those links (when I'm not browsing via phone) to check legalities for storing both.

Could do with stocking up on diesel for work too for the generator.
Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.
Survivalist85

Post by Survivalist85 »

Hi all,

Good read, I think as some people are saying "iv filled this or that up" and never been stopped is because of the same reasons I could drink in my local age 16 / 17 and the same reason i could get hold of smokes pre smoking age! Now im not condoning any illegal behavior at all! Iv since stopped smoking (go me!) and only see a pub on the tele......BUT my point being most people that "pump gas" at the fuel station dont go home every night and read up on laws and regs on selling fuel.

If you do live on an island, litteral or metaphorical and you need lots, get it. At all times be safe and if your unsure ask.

Hope this makes sense to someone!
Survivalist

Better To Have & Not Need Than To Need & Not Have!
external

Post by external »

Well that's two 20l jerry cans ordered £16.49each inc postage. I thought that was quite good value, I was expecting it to be a fair bit more in truth.

I've got one for diesel (Mrs car) and one for petrol (My car).
I'll store them in the garage for now.
Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.
lincsprepper

Post by lincsprepper »

Survivalist85 wrote:Hi all,

most people that "pump gas" at the fuel station dont go home every night and read up on laws and regs on selling fuel.

!
Very true! I used to work in a petrol station and my training was very basic. I've learnt more from reading this thread than I did from the job. :lol: