Storing petrol advice

Logistics and Transport
Plymtom

Re: Storing petrol advice

Post by Plymtom »

What would you do with stuff that's past it's use by date then? I have some for my dual fuel cooker and lanterns thats been there for years, a couple of those camping bottles, will it still work?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

12mp82 wrote:
mushroom wrote:Why the two 10L cans though? Keeping 10L of petrol in a 20L can would be very unsafe - keeping 20L in a 20L can would be perfectly safe!!
The maximum capacity of the tin (jerry can or whatever) is 10ltrs, a 20ltr can would be deemed an inappropriate container for domestic storage, so do not use a 20ltr container.

Not a dig at you 12 but why can you legally buy 20ltr jerry cans? I have been through uk customs at least six times with 3x20ltr jerry cans in my vehicle and declared them with no problem!!

Store what you want just don't be stupid,be safe.
Steve R

Post by Steve R »

Having carefully read the rule I can see no reason why old vehicles cannot be used to store fuel (in their fuel tanks) if a person has adequate land to stand them on. The vehicles would have to be SORNed though to comply with another law.
If you think you can do it, you're right.

If you think you can't do it, you're right.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

You can legally buy a lot of things GG, doesn't mean they are legal to carry or use.

The military use 20ltr cans a lot for diesel, petrol, avgas, aviation fuel, paraffin etc so using them for the correct purpose is looking good, but using them to store petroleum spirit in the back garden looks like it is not the correct purpose.

It is in the wording, storage being the one to be aware of and also Domestic.
Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc) Regulations 1929

The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc) Regulations 1929 , no longer apply to workplaces (including petrol filling stations). However, they do apply to the domestic storage of petrol, including vehicles parked in a domestic garage or near residential premises.

Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982

The Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 no longer apply to workplaces (including petrol filling stations). However, they do apply to the domestic storage of petrol, including vehicles parked in a domestic garage or near residential premises.
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Also diesel , paraffin, and AV gas isn't petroleum spirit ,

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksro/192 ... tents/made

The law which is still current is a bit out of date

Diesel legislation

How should I store diesel and what quantity am I allowed?

There are no specific legal requirements on how to store diesel or the quantity allowed either in workplaces or domestic premises. It is not, from a health and safety point of view, a particularly hazardous substance within the meaning of the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 - its vapour flash point is too high. This means that its vapour will not ignite at normal room temperatures.

That said, there are some general issues you'll need to take into account:

no 'hotwork' should be performed on the vessel unless it is emptied and purged of any remaining vapour. the drum should be positioned away from any source of direct heat. the drum should be located in an area where there is no risk of collision with vehicles, fork-lift trucks etc. (diesel splashing onto a hot engine will probably ignite). leaks and spills should be contained to the vicinity of the drum and mopped up quickly, to lessen the risk of slipping. refilling and dispensing activities need to take account of manual handling issues etc.

While diesel is not a particularly dangerous substance from a health and safety point of view, it is an environmental hazard, with considerable clean-up costs if it should leak into a drain, watercourse or the soil. You may, therefore, wish to contact the Environment Agency for further information .

Taken from here
http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/ ... m-faqs.htm

Interesting

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
unsure

Post by unsure »

poppypiesdad wrote:Also diesel , paraffin, and AV gas isn't petroleum spirit ,

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksro/192 ... tents/made

The law which is still current is a bit out of date

Diesel legislation

How should I store diesel and what quantity am I allowed?

There are no specific legal requirements on how to store diesel or the quantity allowed either in workplaces or domestic premises. It is not, from a health and safety point of view, a particularly hazardous substance within the meaning of the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 - its vapour flash point is too high. This means that its vapour will not ignite at normal room temperatures.

That said, there are some general issues you'll need to take into account:

no 'hotwork' should be performed on the vessel unless it is emptied and purged of any remaining vapour. the drum should be positioned away from any source of direct heat. the drum should be located in an area where there is no risk of collision with vehicles, fork-lift trucks etc. (diesel splashing onto a hot engine will probably ignite). leaks and spills should be contained to the vicinity of the drum and mopped up quickly, to lessen the risk of slipping. refilling and dispensing activities need to take account of manual handling issues etc.

While diesel is not a particularly dangerous substance from a health and safety point of view, it is an environmental hazard, with considerable clean-up costs if it should leak into a drain, watercourse or the soil. You may, therefore, wish to contact the Environment Agency for further information .

Taken from here
http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/ ... m-faqs.htm

Interesting

J

following on from this , how many people have fuel oil [ red diesel ] to power their cental heating .
these tanks usually over 1000 ltrs .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Round here most farmers have diesel tanks, normally set quite high to make it easier to fill the tractors

You have to store petrol in underground tanks for business use.

BTW I think its 2x10ltr metal + 2 X 5ltr plastic in addition to anything else you choose to store (paraffin, LPG, diesel, ethanol or WHY)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

it is just petrol that should be in 5ltr plastic or 10 ltr metal containers. even at a petrol station you can fill 20 ltr jerry cans of diesel. part of the reason given is the vapors that can be vented and also the low flash point of petrol makes it a risk when transporting if in an accident.

diesel with its high flash point is much less of a risk.
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day..
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life..
unsure

Post by unsure »

i quite often take a 20ltr jerry can to the petrol station for petrol , not the same as storing it i know , but ive never had any problems filling it up . so there for must be legal to use . if not then the petrol station is breaking the law by allowing you to use it are they not .
the only signs i`ve seen say that it must be put into a propper container .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

the signs do say plastic 5ltr or metal 10ltr. or they definitely do at the shell down the road. i have been stopped filling an army jerry can with petrol.
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day..
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life..