TD4 FREELANDER BOV??

Logistics and Transport
hardcider

TD4 FREELANDER BOV??

Post by hardcider »

hi all been out looking at BOV'S i have had td5 disco's in the past with no probs but every time i mention them every one tells of nightmare probs.
had a look at a 05 td4 freelander today not somthing i would usually look at as they look like a plastic landrover.
i am told they are great off road and another pluss point is they dont look like a BOV only slight issue is the load space is nothing like the disco.

anyone have any experience or advice???
12mp82

Re: TD4 FREELANDER BOV??

Post by 12mp82 »

Might be ok on the grass verge ;) they have low ground clearance and not a balanced front to rear drive, something like 80% X 20% IIRC.

Also two fuel pumps on some of them, if one fails the vehicle fails, and needs to be recovered.

Not sure about the newer models though. :(
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

hardcider

Post by hardcider »

i had always thought the same designed to cope with the pot holes on the school run but have been looking at a few youtube reviews were they are giving disco's and defenders a run for there money
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

hardcider wrote:i had always thought the same designed to cope with the pot holes on the school run but have been looking at a few youtube reviews were they are giving disco's and defenders a run for there money
So do Lada Riva ;)

guess it depends how much you want to pay to convert from basic vehicle to off-road capable vehicle, with optional bug out kit

poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Freelander , NO .
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

12mp82 wrote:
hardcider wrote:i had always thought the same designed to cope with the pot holes on the school run but have been looking at a few youtube reviews were they are giving disco's and defenders a run for there money
So do Lada Riva ;)

guess it depends how much you want to pay to convert from basic vehicle to off-road capable vehicle, with optional bug out kit
That should be Lada Niva not Riva :oops:

hardcider

Post by hardcider »

not seen a lada neva before and the load space would not be a prob as the mrs would be off if i came home with a lada.
hardcider

Post by hardcider »

thanks for all your comments think i was trying to convince myself the freelander was a good bov time to get back to trying to find a good disco.
JOE90

Post by JOE90 »

A Friend of mine had a Freelander Td4, and it was awful. So much went wrong, and it was a one owner fully serviced car. I test drove an earlier diesel model with the L series diesel and hated it as well. Everyone assumes that because they have a BMW engine that they are reliable. My friends Freelander spewd its oil everywhere because a breather on the engine became blocked. Also they have a central coupling that fails and most owners remove it and make them front wheel drive. In my opinion there are better 4X4's around. For me a bug out vehicle should be as simple as possible. But how simple depends on the individual. Lada Nivas are awsome off road cars. Simple and tough. I may be looking to bring some over to the UK soon.
hardcider

Post by hardcider »

gonna keep away from the freelanders and go for a disco ive had td5's in the past with no probs heard some horror stories is the 300tdi more reliable?