Why 4x4?

Logistics and Transport
12mp82

Re: Why 4x4?

Post by 12mp82 »

You can always use the pavement and now look at some of the kerbs - I wouldn't want to tackle them with any normal car.
Would those be the pavements with lots of people walking on them because the roads are blocked? ;) :lol:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

Technik

Post by Technik »

... just put the wipers on and off you goooo..... :lol:
Vebi

Post by Vebi »

Due to the fact I'm into VW Campers, I'm buying a vw T4 van.

I plan on parking in woodland and throwing a camo net or camo tarp over it, with the bed and gas hobs it's instant accommodation.

I could even get some "hazardous chemicals" magnetic warning signs to stick on it, I doubt anyone would try and car jack a van potentially carrying chemicals :)
Technik

Post by Technik »

I completely forgot about a video I shot back in the days when I was airsofting. I was out with my friends on a Sunday skirmish when one of my polish mates parked his car in the morning and went to play. It rained a bit during the day so when he got back he found his car stuck... a bit. It was so much in mud on one side that the wheels on that side weren't touching the ground. So the other guys had to lift the car up to get it moving again. I had so much laugh watching this especially that I was standing next to a guy that had a 110 with tow ropes, hi-lift jacks, etc. but we just decided that it's too hilarious to watch :D
So to sum it all up - although it's funny I wouldn't want to be in a similar situation when buging out with no one to help, so I'll just stick with the 4x4 route.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5R9IGyCkls
short circuit

Post by short circuit »

A 4x4 would be nice but if you really think about it it in most cases would be hopeless, flooding= fail, EMP= fail fuel strike= fail WSHTF= fail...you would be far better with mountian bikes and trailers and a blow up boat packed on it...you can travel the world on mountain bikes just the same as cars ;)
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

short circuit wrote:A 4x4 would be nice but if you really think about it it in most cases would be hopeless, flooding= fail, EMP= fail fuel strike= fail WSHTF= fail...you would be far better with mountian bikes and trailers and a blow up boat packed on it.
an old landrover (diesel) easy to EMP proof or repair after, flooding will stop anything if running fast. but once the water is calm 1m+ not a problem if you dont mind a wet bum. fuel strikes + runs on cooking oil and many other things. and you can still throw your mountain bike and blow up boat on the back.

i accept that this is not true of all 4x4 especially the newer ones.

depending on how far you want to go would make the difference between a 4x4 and a bike. i can and do ride 100km+ in a day on a road bike but with any amount of kit it would be a killer. and a mountain bike harder still

i think that the vehicle depends on the BO plan. for me a 4x4 is practical as is the DR600. but to be honest the wifes car may be more useful for some situations.
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day..
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life..
short circuit

Post by short circuit »

oh yes the old landrover diesel the king of kings now your talking as you say cooking oil will run them but am not licenced now so it would have to be a bike system sadly would not want the MPs ect cuffing us and locking us in a porta cabin for not having one.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

madmedic wrote:
short circuit wrote:A 4x4 would be nice but if you really think about it it in most cases would be hopeless, flooding= fail, EMP= fail fuel strike= fail WSHTF= fail...you would be far better with mountian bikes and trailers and a blow up boat packed on it.
an old landrover (diesel) easy to EMP proof or repair after, flooding will stop anything if running fast. but once the water is calm 1m+ not a problem if you dont mind a wet bum. fuel strikes + runs on cooking oil and many other things. and you can still throw your mountain bike and blow up boat on the back.

i accept that this is not true of all 4x4 especially the newer ones.

depending on how far you want to go would make the difference between a 4x4 and a bike. i can and do ride 100km+ in a day on a road bike but with any amount of kit it would be a killer. and a mountain bike harder still

i think that the vehicle depends on the BO plan. for me a 4x4 is practical as is the DR600. but to be honest the wifes car may be more useful for some situations.
We have a couple of bikes to get to our 4X4 ;)

flooding= fail

Aparently not always the case

EMP= fail

Not necessarily

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 047AAkrKVT

fuel strike= fail

SVO is quite cheap and highly possible so long as no one wants to use it for cooking

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=57333

WSHTF= fail

Depends how deep it is when it hits the floor after the fan ;)

Sheepster

Post by Sheepster »

Ran my toyota estima on 100% veg all summer and 75% in winter. My disco will be running on veg this year just waiting for it to warm up a bit before I start testing percentages. Have ran my standard disco through water up to bottom of windscreen although lights got full, carpets got soaked and the airbox nearly got flooded :oops: Snorkel and 2 inch lift kit required me thinks
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Snorkel and 2 inch lift kit required me thinks
At least, and maybe some water-proof seat covers ;)

My 110 was prepped for shallow wading, axles were vented, gear box plug removed and a few other bits done.