Why 4x4?

Logistics and Transport
JOE90

Re: Why 4x4?

Post by JOE90 »

Yep landies are simple vehicles to maintain and fix. I'm looking to get a second car to use as my wife is now driving more and more. My criteria is that it must be a 4X4, carry our bug out gear, cheap to run as my every day car and take us away on camping holidays. I was going to go down the Land Rover path again as i have had loads of them......however. I have now found a VW T3 Syncro would fit my needs very well. For those that don't know, its a VW camper with 4X4 running gear. And in finding them i also found another 4X4 VW van i never knew existed in the form of the LT40 4X4. It's a huge beast of a van. IMO it has to be a 4X4 as the roads are bad enough as it is now,imagine what they will be like years after SHTF.
masucoop

Post by masucoop »

Madosammo, youre points were very valid for yourself, and that is the point is it good for you!!!!!, all the replies are based on what everyone has themselves and they all think that they are right..... no-one including myself is right, its what is best for you, I must admit seeing people driving 4x4's to go to work and school just make's me laugh, you have to have a reason (other than the very very slim chance you will need it for a BOV) and the majority dont have that reason....
I don't like 4x4's anyway, they are uncomfortable and uneccesssary most of the time, I unfortunately do have one (that my wife drives mostly), as the weight of my caravan is too heavy, even for a Volvo estate which I would have prefered..
The point is, you choose the vehicle that suits you, not others as no-one is right or wrong, we just have different views and needs, if someone says you have to have something, that means they have to, because they usually do have allready..
A Transit would certainly carry lots of equiptment if that is what you have or want and the more you put in the heavier it would be and that sometimes helps when the going gets tough..... when the snow came 2 or 3 years ago, the Tesco car park was snowed in and all the cars were skidding all over the place and couldnt get off, my wife in an LDV van we had at the time, drove on, shopped, then drove off with no problem at all...... which shows the Transit may be ok, if thats what you want................... get it and enjoy................
Technik

Post by Technik »

I currently own a mwb hi-roof Transit and had a Nissan Terrano 4x4 before and just to compare and point out a couple things.
- Insurance is cheaper on the 4x4 in my case
- road tax is the same
- fuel consumption is roughly better in the 4x4
Now imagine this - you've decided to bug out so pack the Transit full of gear and head off. The roads may be packed with other cars trying to get away but driving a van you can't get off the road to avoid any so you just have to follow. When (if) you eventually get to your bol then what do you do, do you unpack all that gear to be able to still use the van on short trips here and there?
Now if you have a 4x4 you can put your mud tyres on and avoid all the traffic by going off road. If you're skilled then you may tow a caravan behind you and if done properly can get you to your bol through fields no problem. When you get there you just leave the caravan behind and still use the 4x4 to get some supplies (water, wood, etc.).
This is my opinion but I may be biased because I love 4x4 and getting dirty in the mud :lol:
tom2tom

Post by tom2tom »

A cheap van could be used maybe =)?
Me all i am and all i want to be!
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Technik wrote:I currently own a mwb hi-roof Transit and had a Nissan Terrano 4x4 before and just to compare and point out a couple things.
- Insurance is cheaper on the 4x4 in my case
- road tax is the same
- fuel consumption is roughly better in the 4x4
Now imagine this - you've decided to bug out so pack the Transit full of gear and head off. The roads may be packed with other cars trying to get away but driving a van you can't get off the road to avoid any so you just have to follow. When (if) you eventually get to your bol then what do you do, do you unpack all that gear to be able to still use the van on short trips here and there?
Now if you have a 4x4 you can put your mud tyres on and avoid all the traffic by going off road. If you're skilled then you may tow a caravan behind you and if done properly can get you to your bol through fields no problem. When you get there you just leave the caravan behind and still use the 4x4 to get some supplies (water, wood, etc.).
This is my opinion but I may be biased because I love 4x4 and getting dirty in the mud :lol:

Well said that man :D
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Now if you have a 4x4 you can put your mud tyres on and avoid all the traffic by going off road.
But only if you don't have to get through the traffic to get to the countryside ;)

A 4X4 transit can be a very useful bug out vehicle, especially an old looking one as it can be used to hide in plain sight, blending in with other vehicles on the side of the roads. :D
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

hardcider

Post by hardcider »

dont think an old 4x4 transit is a way to blend in the only pre 2000 transits i see are looking for scrap metal and stand out like a sore thumb
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

hardcider wrote:dont think an old 4x4 transit is a way to blend in the only pre 2000 transits i see are looking for scrap metal and stand out like a sore thumb
But if hiding in a scrap yard ;)
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

hardcider

Post by hardcider »

that would work
Technik

Post by Technik »

It's a plan then - get a rusty van and hide at the scrapyard.... :lol:

12mp82 wrote:
Now if you have a 4x4 you can put your mud tyres on and avoid all the traffic by going off road.
But only if you don't have to get through the traffic to get to the countryside ;)
You can always use the pavement and now look at some of the kerbs - I wouldn't want to tackle them with any normal car.