land rover

Logistics and Transport
madmedic

Re: land rover

Post by madmedic »

i have a defender and would rather shove wasps up my arse than sell it but i got 4x4ing with jimmys all the time. they are really good. when they are a few years old they get quite cheap too. they are really easy to fix.
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day..
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life..
tacticalprepper

Post by tacticalprepper »

madmedic wrote:i have a defender and would rather shove wasps up my arse than sell it but i got 4x4ing with jimmys all the time. they are really good. when they are a few years old they get quite cheap too. they are really easy to fix.
Ohh right, awesome :) I have to say, good simple 4x4's like the Defender or Jimny just put all the new tech-filled 4x4's to shame. You look at the newer Land Rovers that have dials, buttons, switches etc. If part of those electronics go wrong, Your pretty stuck, not to mention the price to repair it.

Actually could I ask a quick question? when I first looked at the Jimny I was put off by the fact it only comes in petrol. After watching some videos of it in action I was pleasantly surprised how well it performs. Does this make a lot of difference? Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question but its just that I know generally in petrol cars they say not to go through deep puddles because its not a sealed engine lol?
AREA 3
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

tacticalprepper wrote: Actually could I ask a quick question? when I first looked at the Jimny I was put off by the fact it only comes in petrol.
i usually wouldnt find the petrol a problem. ive seen them go through the same rivers as my in the defender. about 3 foot is as deep as a do. (wet bum after that) although i did see one last week with a blown engine after getting water in it. for play that could be a problem but in a SHTF if you are going in water that deep you are being reckless because of risks involved. more of an issue it the petrol going off. at least an old defender will run on most things that burn.. (oil, veg oil, kero. contaminated diesel)
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day..
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life..
hardcider

Post by hardcider »

tested a disco with 2" boddy lift and 2" suspension jack up it is a 1996 300tdi and i have not stopped grinning since i would need to sell my car first but has anyone had one to let me no there thoughts.
tacticalprepper

Post by tacticalprepper »

madmedic wrote:
tacticalprepper wrote: Actually could I ask a quick question? when I first looked at the Jimny I was put off by the fact it only comes in petrol.
i usually wouldnt find the petrol a problem. ive seen them go through the same rivers as my in the defender. about 3 foot is as deep as a do. (wet bum after that) although i did see one last week with a blown engine after getting water in it. for play that could be a problem but in a SHTF if you are going in water that deep you are being reckless because of risks involved. more of an issue it the petrol going off. at least an old defender will run on most things that burn.. (oil, veg oil, kero. contaminated diesel)
posting.php?mode=quote&f=20&p=76162#
I see what you mean. In any normal situation I can't see that being a problem, I don't think I'll attempt crossing rivers if I can help it :lol:
For the money though it a fantastic idea even to get a small 4x4. I live in a semi-suburban area, fields all behind us but a main road in front. If SHTF the main road is guaranteed to be jam-packed. I'll cut across the fields if I have to lol. Thank you for that :D
AREA 3
Snooks

Post by Snooks »

Let look at what you want it for! SHTF? Main roads will be stuffed with people trying to get away, you'll have to go on the back roads,maybe up, around and through things. just look at the floods this year. It would have to be capable of wading through water and mud, I don't think that the ground clearance on a transit would be good enough and then fully loaded through mud? This would take some research, thought and thinking, then compromise, though the choice in the end is yours.

Good luck Snooks
unsure

Post by unsure »

tacticalprepper wrote:
madmedic wrote:
tacticalprepper wrote:What about the suzuki Jimny? Small petrol 4x4, I'm presuming its fairly economical (much more than a Defender anyway) :)
and awesome off road too..
Absolutely! Great video here of the Land Rover Defender VS Susuki Jimny off road. I really like them actually, and they're very reasonably priced! Brand new starting from £11,995. Still, if I ever did have the money I would love a defender :D

i`m guessing you dont like your right elbow then .you need to open the window to turn right :lol:

i drive defenders on a regular basis and to say they are not the most driver friendly 4x4 out there .
don`t get me wrong , if you slice me in half it`ll say landrover inside but as far as defenders go i`d never buy one , i`ll stick with my old disco [94] .
also worth noting is they defender rear door is`nt very wide so getting large items in is`nt easy .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
tigs

Post by tigs »

tacticalprepper wrote:
madmedic wrote:
tacticalprepper wrote:What about the suzuki Jimny? Small petrol 4x4, I'm presuming its fairly economical (much more than a Defender anyway) :)
and awesome off road too..
Absolutely! Great video here of the Land Rover Defender VS Susuki Jimny off road. I really like them actually, and they're very reasonably priced! Brand new starting from £11,995. Still, if I ever did have the money I would love a defender :D
I have 3 defenders of different ages , one bought from new the other too were picked up for a lot less than 12k and are reliable, easy to fix and get parts for . try searching for ex mod defenders .
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
jonb

Post by jonb »

Hi All

If your after 4x4 don't forget the Japanese pick ups !

Defenders are good but limited on cabin space (elbow room) .

My L200 has done 149k on a 04 plate , nothing but service items required ,I'm in the building trade so its used each day , not just a toy ;)

The Suzuki sj410 and the jimny are great , good build quality and reliable .

Have you thought of a bug out trailer ? pack it up , tow it to your bug out location and leave it when you go out scavenging.