Suzuki Jimny (w/ off road tyres and mods)

Logistics and Transport
Rusty337

Post by Rusty337 »

hey guys , quick opinion. i quite fancy one of these wee 4x4s, theyre small, nimble, and can do some serious off roading if modded correctly. what dyou guys think?

http://gomotors.net/pics/Suzuki/suzuki-jimny-05.jpg

Rusty
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week./

Democratic republic of Area 11
tacticalprepper

Re: Suzuki Jimny (w/ off road tyres and mods)

Post by tacticalprepper »

I had thought about one of these myself. I currently have the Suzuki Splash and I have to say the service was unbeatable. The great thing about the Jimmy is that you can take it seriously off road, matching the capabilities of the Land Rover Defender, but when it comes to the day-to-day commute, its not drinking huge amounts of fuel. Also, take a look at the technology which it uses.... not a lot. For me, this is a good thing. There have always been problems with Land Rovers due to the amount of tech they cram into them. Suzuki like to keep things simple - and therefore more reliable.

The down sides of course - I'm pretty sure it only comes in petrol, so its not going to have the same torque as other 4x4's. There is also the idea that other makes like the Land Rover Defender, or the Jeeps; have been tested and hardened. These kind of 4x4's are used by the military which means any problems have been found and accounted for. For that reason, you might feel more comfortable with another make, but remember the price goes up too.

All in all, I think the Jimmy is a good sensible 4x4. As far as prepping goes, if it came down to it you'll be better off in one of them in the snow then 70% of the population, and as a bonus these aren't expensive cars :)
AREA 3
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

A Jimny for one is a good BOV, for two maybe OK, after that get a trailer as the boot is too small to hold anything of much use. :(
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

mogs

Post by mogs »

my mum has a jimny '02' and she has been staying with us whilst shes waiting for her new house to be ready so use her car quite alot as she is an awefull pasenger!

I must warn you that although they may be good SOMETIMES, most of the time they have lots of little issues that the garage wont pick up on but you will know when driving somethings not right. There most common issue is with the wheels, best to have the steel wheels or 5 spokes rather than the 3 spoke alloys, in that order! 90% of them end up getting the "death wobble" which I can assure you can be pretty damn scary and extremelly dangerous as the name clues at!

I wont say dont get one but if you do please take extra care and take a nosey through the forums to make the best choice for you.
Good luck :)
Rusty337

Post by Rusty337 »

Thanks for the input guys, seriously considering this as my other car is a seat ibiza and it's terrible. Plus my plan includes me taking my motorbike and the missus following in the jimny, me being scout that is and her taking all the gear. We live about 3 miles outside the city so this would be ideal to big out to our BOL just a couple hours away.

Rusty
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week./

Democratic republic of Area 11
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Got to say that doing that (the photo ) to a wee suzuki is a waste of a good wee 4x4

Cons

You have changed the center of gravity
You have changed the rotational mass meaning increased stress and wear on the gearbox , differentials and transfer box
You'll need to mount a larger spare (dont know where its stored just now but might take up valuable space)
Possibility of uprating brakes
Is the engine big enough to cope with the rotational weight

Pros

Its blue
Its got a snorkel

With the amount your going to spend on something like a wee jimny , could you no buy a propper 4x4 with the features your adding to a lesser vehicle

Just an opinion

j
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Djorn

Post by Djorn »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I give you the perfect BOV....

http://www.ljacksonandco.com/index.php? ... Itemid=185

Dj
A Prepper is for life, not just for Doomsday !!
Maddosammo

Post by Maddosammo »

Links broken. Or site is fake
Sam

Area 9

Post by 90. »

Hi rusty, I've had a couple of SJ's and a jimny, great off-roaders they are however, what poppiesdad has said is correct most people don't think about the spare there is not a lot of room in a jimny unless you ditch the rear seat & then 2 burgen's with some smaller items will be the limit unless you go for the van back.

Also to turn tyres that big with a small engine will need a mod to the transfer box(rock lobster box) if you want to see the other side of 50mph, then you will have to contend with prop uj's & vibration not an issue on a play vehicle or an off road toy but for any long or regular use it will get old real quick.

The jimny is a great little All-roader truck, a modest lift and more aggressive tyres will take it anywhere you need, don't forget if you mod it too far from standard you will loose reliability & driveabillity.

regards