Bug out method

Logistics and Transport
sniper 55

Re: Bug out method

Post by sniper 55 »

While all these ideas are great they will slow you down and limit your freedom of movement. Really rough ground or climbs/drops will scupper most things on wheels, even puks can only be dropped so far and try pulling a loaded one up a steep hill. Yes you can unload and porter it around but that takes even longer.
Theres also the risk of loosing a large chunk of gear if you have to leave it or it falls somewhere.
I can see it working if you have a set target location and know the route is suitable (and fairly flat) But if your bugging out into who knows what then personally I'd go with what I can carry on my back.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

If you are "bugging out into who knows what" you are already dead. If you do not know where you are going you are not going anywhere, you are just roaming aimlessly. I thought that fantasy of roaming the woods living out of a back pack like a ninja campfire girl died years back.

In my own case I am simply trying to get home, where all the goodies are kept. I know the way. I know several ways. All I need is enough gear to support me until I get home.

I am not fighting a war. I am not escaping and evading. I am not a light infantry trooper carrying a battle loadout. I am climbing no mountains, outrunning no one, jumping no ditches nor pole vaulting fences and walls.

Carrying that gear on my back is not an option. Walking the distance in one day may not be an option. My summer temps rise to 35 and my winter temps can be -20. I have to have the proper gear to deal with all that. I would be starting off from a vehicle so why not have the necessary gear and its transport in the vehicle?

I am 67 years old and after four back surgeries, two heart attacks and God knows what other hidden ailments finding the right pack, or a more comfortable pack, is not the answer.

My infirmities still do not mean I should die on the way home because I can not carry a pack.

The answer is something with wheels that allows me to roll more than I can carry and keeps the load off my back.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

How do you know the place your going to is still there? How will you deal with roads closed or bridges down? or other people camped out at your bug out location?.
All well and good to say you know where your going but you don't know what sort of disaster will happen or where it will strike.
We all have plans but it's no good relying on point A or B still being available after the zombies attack or whatever. You may well end up hiding out in the woods or climbing cliffs evading who knows what. Thats the problem, that we we prep, is to deal with whatever happens.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Mortblanc wrote:If you are "bugging out into who knows what" you are already dead. If you do not know where you are going you are not going anywhere, you are just roaming aimlessly. I thought that fantasy of roaming the woods living out of a back pack like a ninja campfire girl died years back.

In my own case I am simply trying to get home, where all the goodies are kept. I know the way. I know several ways. All I need is enough gear to support me until I get home.

I am not fighting a war. I am not escaping and evading. I am not a light infantry trooper carrying a battle loadout. I am climbing no mountains, outrunning no one, jumping no ditches nor pole vaulting fences and walls.

Carrying that gear on my back is not an option. Walking the distance in one day may not be an option. My summer temps rise to 35 and my winter temps can be -20. I have to have the proper gear to deal with all that. I would be starting off from a vehicle so why not have the necessary gear and its transport in the vehicle?

I am 67 years old and after four back surgeries, two heart attacks and God knows what other hidden ailments finding the right pack, or a more comfortable pack, is not the answer.

My infirmities still do not mean I should die on the way home because I can not carry a pack.

The answer is something with wheels that allows me to roll more than I can carry and keeps the load off my back.
I think a lot of folk who prep do so with an element of fantasy involved. They have a chosen scenario and work to that. My personal 'fantasy' is to carry on as we are, I'm quite fond of modern living, I like my wee nights away under canvas and whatnot, preferably with a fair amount of loud mouth soup but if I had to pick, it would be broadband and all mod cons. :D
sniper 55 wrote:How do you know the place your going to is still there? How will you deal with roads closed or bridges down? or other people camped out at your bug out location?.
All well and good to say you know where your going but you don't know what sort of disaster will happen or where it will strike.
We all have plans but it's no good relying on point A or B still being available after the zombies attack or whatever. You may well end up hiding out in the woods or climbing cliffs evading who knows what. Thats the problem, that we we prep, is to deal with whatever happens.
Yup, no point having a set plan, chances are things won't pan out that way, no harm in having a number of plans I suppose but personally I have none. I've got friends and rellies I could stay at if something happened to Casa Deeps but if it was the full blown zombie apocalypse then I'll be winging it. I'll take my chances though. ;)
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

sniper 55 wrote:How do you know the place your going to is still there? How will you deal with roads closed or bridges down? or other people camped out at your bug out location?.
First, I am not a subscriber to the zombie apocalypse theory nor am I concerned about the golden horde taking over my place.

I am going home, and home was carefully chosen to avoid that. As a retired person I stick pretty close to home so any "emergency" that would cause me to abandon my vehicle and walk home will present a trip of only a few miles. No rivers to cross, no cliffs to climb, no mountain ranges to traverse. But I do have many different alternative routes if trouble presents itself.

And I am in a different part of the world, with a different attitude about what one does to those that place you in danger or simply move in and live in your house. We do not cringe and hide or run too much around here.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

MortBlanc what about a triangular type drag thing but with 2 inflatable wheels fitted rather than the pole ends rubbing along the floor? I've got a feeling the proper name is something like travois or similar?

A simple harness so you are pulling with your belt rather than carrying the weight on you back and shoulders?

It should be relatively easy to fabricate from aluminium poles and a net to carry/ strap your gear to? I'm pretty sure you would be able to make it so you could store it dismantled in the boot of the car.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

If you are talking about a pack with wheels it is not going to happen. Back in the 18th Century there were professional porters that used such rigs to earn a living moving everything imaginable around the city on their backs. I will not be one of them.

The wheeled cart I have and linked too is excellent for its purpose and does the job. It is specifically designed to handle heavy loads in dense woods since its original purpose is to transport dead game of large size out of the woods. It folds flat and stores in the back of the SUV and the container holding my emergency gear sits on top.

If needed it will assemble in a couple of minutes and the big plastic box will be strapped on along with sleeping bag and big heavy parka if it is winter. It has large puncture proof tires that will stand up to 300#.

I have used it in the truck as emergency stand-by and it has hauled some game out successfully so I know it will work for the intended purpose on both pavement and forest paths, or in absence of forest paths.

It allows me to carry much more than would be necessary for any race to the house I make. In fact if I can find a kid that needs to earn some money I could sit on the cart and have him drag me home.
jansman

Post by jansman »

In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Bad Jansman :lol: the "old lady shopping trolley" I've mentioned elsewhere would be more stable and easier to bug out/bug home with than a bleeping wheelbarrow :lol:
https://www.tesco.com/direct/reisenthel ... d=693-8072
Though you can get them a lot cheaper than that at your local market

https://www.tesco.com/direct/upcart-all ... d=345-1879
And this one is an all-terrain version (very handy for lots of stairs at railway stations in everyday life). I bet they're cheaper elsewhere too.
kevprep85

Post by kevprep85 »

ChefSimon wrote:There was a youtube video floating around a few years ago of a chap who had made a "human trailer" basically took a military style webbing yoke and attached it to a sack trolley like device (Imagine the bottom of a sack trolley but instead of handles it went up in a triangle like design and attached to the yoke via a ball and socket type device)

He was able to carry around 100kg on it and the weight was over the wheels, and spread over his body, making him able to walk for hours with it. Due to the attachment it was articulated and was able to go off road with it.

Wish I could find that video.

ive been trying out something similar with a folding sack truck
failure to prepare is preparing to fail.