What do you carry?

Logistics and Transport
Paul_H

Re: What do you carry?

Post by Paul_H »

omg the oil companies will love me then, got a 4x4 pick-up that not only is it my daily driver and also the vehicle I use when im out on events providing safety and communication cover and on some events recovery services, I would happily park it up through the week but cant afford a small car for the day to day commute but would like to be in that posistion.

I carry a fire fighting kit, recovery kit, medical kit, 10l water, some spare fluids for the truck, tool kit etc has a full length roof rack system on it and a roof box with tent and camping kit cooker food making stuff etc for when on an overnight trip or I get stuck in an event and cant be bothered traveling at daft oclock

Got to take it over a weigh bridge but im guessing im pushing the 3ton mark and it does about 80-100 mile on 20l of derv depending on how I drive but in summer I run a mix of veg and derv. But when the shtf its the truck I would want to be in when we get stuff like the bad weather at the moment a few tweeks to whats carried and id happily stop on the M1 in it in the middle of winter but only cos I know its prepared
junmist

Post by junmist »

Get Home bag 6lt of water stuff for the car wellys rain gear stuff for the horse's and for the week 6hundred bags for work ( ok its not 6 hundred but it feels like it when Im carting it about) :lol:
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
(pete)

Post by (pete) »

Well in the discovery I carry........ Deep breath.......

6ltrs of water complete change of clothes ghb (first aid torch firelighting gear etc) 2 sets of waterproofs, stuff for the car I carry assorted towing equipment straps shackles etc also full tool kit spanners sockets crowbar saw shovel etc 1 airgun 1 air pistol (locked)the car will also be having some more equipment fitted soon large roof rack hilift and waffle boards

I get around 22-25 mpg round town but I also make my own fuel I have not been onto a garage forecourt for fuel for months :D
arnieh

Post by arnieh »

Most of you carry a great deal more than me in your vehicles, though we don't travel many miles these days not much more than 20 miles radius of home I think a re-think of my car kit is on the cards. We have always had a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, torch, tow rope and high vis jackets in the vehicle.

Post by 90. »

Like many others here i'm a landy driver, & always have a box full of gear in the rear, its not the most fuel efficient vehicle to commute in, however to my mind much of what I read as advise from the main sources is BS, since when are the fuel companies worried about our fuel costs.

Driving with the window open or poor driving practices use more fuel than keeping rarely needed stuff in the boot, however stuff bolted to the outside like roll cages and empty roof racks or roof bars do cause a significant increase in noise and fuel consumption.
I have a heavy bumper & winch that I've never used to recover myself & I could remove to lighten the truck but then I'd have struggled getting a dead horse out of a friends stable..!

I always carry a (local)spares pack for the truck & all the tools to repair it, water, clothes, food etc
when I go further afield I put a second set of spares in it eg UJ's & Wheels bearings, I've driven over 600 miles this weekend all trouble free.

personally I'd rather have spares and tools for me & my truck I may never need than save a couple of quid a week.

chris8472

Post by chris8472 »

i had my brother in law's father question me yesterday on this very mater when he asked me about the bonnet light pod on my discovery he said do you know that use's more fuel than .than if you did'nt have it so i said have you done green lains at night in the midle of know where then you now how much you need them then he went on about my 33/12.5 tyers ,roof rack,winch and the weight of the landrover as he lit up his 3rd fag he said do you know how much all the added bits are costing you every year my answer to that was not as much as all the fags you smoke and where was you stuck when it was snowing :lol:
arnieh

Post by arnieh »

What would you consider being the absolute minimum that you would carry in an ordinary family car (we have a Vauxhall Zafira) as I have said above day to day we don't travel far these days and most of it on main roads.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

arnieh wrote:What would you consider being the absolute minimum that you would carry in an ordinary family car (we have a Vauxhall Zafira) as I have said above day to day we don't travel far these days and most of it on main roads.
Waterproofs, decent footwear, bottled water and snacks, first aid kit and blankets, torches, emergency triangle, hi-vis jackets, wet wipes/tissues/anti-bac gel, in- car phone charger and any personal things you might like to carry to feel comfortable.

As my OH found out when he was involved in a car accident (not his fault) sometime you need to carry more than basic in the car even when a few miles from home. He had to wait 4 hours for the accident management company to send out the pickup. He had no water , food, low battery on phone. He won't be caught out like that again.
junmist

Post by junmist »

arnieh wrote:What would you consider being the absolute minimum that you would carry in an ordinary family car (we have a Vauxhall Zafira) as I have said above day to day we don't travel far these days and most of it on main roads.
Snap :D something for the kids(phones) to do some thing for elderly parents to do(crosswords) some thing for you to do(books) while waiting for the AA/RAC water and snacks(every one), phone charger(kids) waterproofs(me :D ). Waiting time for the RAC to arrive 4 hours on a rainy road in Wales then another 2 hours waiting for the towing lorry. This got me through with out anyone lossing it
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
mongrel

Post by mongrel »

I'm a field engineer and do on average over a 1000 miles a week covering the Scottish Highlands, so I've given a lot of thought to this issue.

My answer is, yes, all the usual salt,old blanket and a shovel, but as well I include a Dickies waterproof padded boiler suite with gloves and a good pair of wellies.

I do carry a "walk home" rucksack, but to be honest it's got pretty much what you'd expect, clothing, food, shelter and fire steel, Oh and a good pair of walking shoes!

Snow up here is the big issue and I'd say the main danger is other drivers, but thats another story.

Ps, needed a push to get out off the snow covered drive this morning and it's not even Christmas yet!!