On yer bike!

Logistics and Transport
Lucky Jim

On yer bike!

Post by Lucky Jim »

Bikes need no fuel, and don't need feeding like a horse would..:)
Any reasonably fit person could pedal 50 miles a day, here's my bike in mid-Wales during one cycle-campng trip, I left the coast near Aberystwyth and crossed the width of Wales from west to east into England in one day (60 miles).
The great thing about cycling is that the back wheel takes all the weight not your legs! My saddlebag is crammed with a sleeping bag, and my small tent and food bag are lashed on top, and I've thrown an orange waterproof cagoule over the whole caboodle.
The trick with cycling is to NEVER PUSH THE PACE. Take regular food 'nibble' breaks sitting against farm gates; walk up all hills and you can go on forever.
Longest I ever did in one day was 145 miles from Kent to Leicester but I had a following wind and good summer weather..:)

jansman

Re: On yer bike!

Post by jansman »

My kinda vehicle. Love bicycles. I have a stable of roadies, fixies,ATB's and my beloved Brompton. Do 250 miles a week average and miss it when I cannot. Bicycles( the proper term btw) are the ultimate low input, low tech transport. I love riding 'em and equally I love fixing 'em. In fact I could fancy being a bike mechanic. Perhaps a shtf trade?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Yup, my bike is also my mule.
Lucky Jim

Post by Lucky Jim »

Yeah guys, the bike will be king when the petrol or oil runs out..:)

Like I said, the back wheel takes all the weight, for example who the heck would want to trudge down this road in Scotland with a gigantic rucksack on their back when they could simply roll down it on wheels?..:)

Free as a bird with no sweaty rucksack sticking to your back-

And you can blend into the landscape better than any vehicle to set up camp-

Getting outta town-

Yay..:)
cyclingjames

Post by cyclingjames »

i don't know about anybody else but i decided that im going to build something like this, but maybe a bit more aimed at bugging out.
camper-bike.png
camper-bike.png (240.8 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Enjoy your bike , but when there is no food at least you can eat you horse.

j
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
metatron

Post by metatron »

poppypiesdad wrote:Enjoy your bike , but when there is no food at least you can eat you horse.

j
lol, I love my bike, switched to a road bike from a hardtail MTB the other week. Its much better for what I mostly used it for, which is getting about town. You save a lot of money not only on fuel but also on parking, so even now there becoming a must.

As for eating your horse, switching to a bike now will get you in better nick, so when you are working in the garden, its not going to destroy your knees and back.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

naaayyyyyy chance ;)
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

metatron wrote: lol, I love my bike, switched to a road bike from a hardtail MTB the other week. Its much better for what I mostly used it for, which is getting about town. You save a lot of money not only on fuel but also on parking, so even now there becoming a must.

As for eating your horse, switching to a bike now will get you in better nick, so when you are working in the garden, its not going to destroy your knees and back.
Since moving back home from London, my bike has come into its own. I don't drive and public transport here is extortionate. It's fabulous being independent from petrol based transport. I get everywhere under my own effort which is helping me (slowly) lose weight and get fitter (much needed) and my asthma is improving as my lungs get stronger. I can fit a ridiculous amount of food in the two panniers on the back and the basket on the front when I go shopping. There's really good cycle paths round here and a lot of them are through parkland and woods so I get to see brilliant views just when I cycle into town. I bloody love my bike! :mrgreen:
junmist

Post by junmist »

Yes but can you talk to your bike and tell it all your cares like you can a horse. And will it get you out of trouble with out you being on it that is. :lol:
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle