On yer bike!

Logistics and Transport
unsure

Re: On yer bike!

Post by unsure »

switching to a bike now will get you in better nick, so when you are working in the garden, its not going to destroy your knees and back.

thats the very reason i had to stop riding every were . two shot knees and a twisted spine :( my spines more S shaped than it is straight . one too many accidents in the past .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
moocher

Post by moocher »

hmm,got a pashley trike covered in the garden,time to dig it out.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Just bought one, a Raleigh Firefly (18 inch frame, 15 gears). Cost me £20...... Result !
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
JOE90

Post by JOE90 »

I'm going to dust off my bike and get one for my wife as well. I need to sort something for my 2 year old, like a trailer or seat for 1 of the bikes.
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Bike trl - using this for a couple of years, 100kg wieght limit, capacity 140ltrs, robust with metal frame. quick releleas tyres.
Attachments
Bike Bug out Trailer
Bike Bug out Trailer
BIKETRAILER-NA-LUGGAGE-YB-A01.jpg (73.71 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
Last edited by QUAID on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

QUAID wrote:
BIKETRAILER-NA-LUGGAGE-YB-A01.jpg
Been using this for a couple of years, 100kg wieght limit, capacity 140ltrs, robust with metal frame. quick releleas tyres.

When we've been talking bug out in the past I've often had the train of thought that hand carts or bike trailers would get folk further, with more stuff than the average car, too many hills to climb from here, and nowhere to go, I remember 15 years ago when the kids and I got half decent on our mountain bikes, if we had to climb the direct routes out of dodge so to speak it would have killed me, one route following an old railway line now a cycle route was ok, yes mostly up hill but not coronary uphill if you know what I mean, but it does illustrate how one person could theoretically hump a fair amount of kit around with one of these, especially when you factor in pannier bags and a rucksack. You may not be going very far or very fast but you would have more of what you need.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

In a shtf situation you'd probably be better with a BOB Yak trailer (they are single wheeled varients of the above) or the IBIS (suspension version) and much more stable off road as 2 wheels will pitch and bounce

and offer better maneuverability and survivability... the rear wheel on the one above is single side mounted which although makes wheel repair easy in the event of a puncture but the hub is weaker (not saying its inadequate) but for hard use due to single mount also a smaller wheel on the yak or ibex are stronger been smaller

obviously the suspension version will be better as it wont bounce about but your including more to go wrong.

http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/bob-i ... th-review/

http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/bicyc ... -trailers/

its worth thinking about upgrading the bikes brakes if you plan on trailing or panniers as it could take a bit of stopping... saving grace is that you can hammer the front brake with less risk of going over the bars
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

There are some really great and inventive ideas out there. Depends on your budget and how it fits into your post SHTF movement plan.
Some of those linked by Yorkshire Andy are good.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The Bob Yak is a good bit of kit I use mone for carting fishing kit, taking feed to the animals etc. if you are serious about trailers(load carrying not children) then this is the one. Originally developed by Canadian loggers for carrying kit to cut fire roads into timber cutting areas. The trailer/ mointainbike combo was even more versatile than the traditional horseback.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
moonstrikerII

Post by moonstrikerII »

i`ve got 2 trailers one is like QUAID`s one the other is call ct1 adventure two wheel trailer and i use on as a portable radio station for amateur radio or cb radio use they are great for shtf situations as well no petrol or other costs barr your own strength. :D