Which 4x4

Logistics and Transport
12mp82

Re: Which 4x4

Post by 12mp82 »

A lot of hydraulic winches will run using the power steering system, I asked when they added power steering to my 110 about it.

The length of time being used and Ah of the battery makes a big difference with an electric winch, I guess it depends how badly stuck you are in the first place, I have seen a hi-lift jack used to lift a landy out of a rut, as it is usually only a grounding that stops a properly equipped Landy.

This Aussie shows it with a toyota, and about 2:24 he says about pushing the vehicle from the ruts.

Yep, she is a bit mad isn't she. Not even a coat or blanket over the line :roll:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

Maddosammo

Post by Maddosammo »

poppypiesdad wrote:
12mp82 wrote:For once or twice a year I would use the hi-lift jack as a winch, have done it a few times and it works fine, just not too quick.

I bought myself the Tirfor as it is multi use, I can pull with it and lift with it, it doesn't rely on battery nor hydraulics and is so easy to use I can get the wife or daughter to do it. I can also take it to places where I can't get a vehicle in to winch or lift other things, especially tree trunks for fire wood.

Oh jebus on a bike ,NEVER EVER NEVER CROSS A WINCH LINE WHILST UNDER TENSION, IN FACT NEVER CROSS IT FULL STOP. and NEVER USE A TOWBALL TO PULL LOADS USE CHASSIS MOUNTS, that is why people get killed being experts .

j

Second that. NEVER EVER cross a winch line especially under tension, they've also got no baffle on the line so if that snaps, the velocity if that line isn't going to be reduced. That can be fatal depending on we're it hits you.

Also not being stereotypical but notice how the guy walks around the front of the other Landy.
Sam

Area 9
Technik

Post by Technik »

I never thought about the tirfor before - thanks for the idea. What's the best place to buy them as they seem quite expensive? If I could get it at a decent price then I could throw it in the back when heading for a longer trip. The electric winch is still my favourite though :D
Another question about bumpers - what about the rear one? If I were to try and get the car out of shit and the only way is pulling it back (and I'm on my own):
A) how would I do that (eg, what's the technique) ?
B) do I use the standard tow point or would it be best to change the bumper for something stronger/different?
unsure

Post by unsure »

usually in the middle , roughly were the tow ball sits theres usually a tow ring as standard fittment .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

You could get a de-mountable winch if you went down the electric route not so easy if you went the hydraulic route.

Really easy with a tirfor ;)

Technik

Post by Technik »

I can imagine that it's pretty straightforward with a tirfor. A bit more difficult with the winch but here's what I found (but please forgive the poor soul his love for Jeep): https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLB7 ... detailpage
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Technik wrote:I can imagine that it's pretty straightforward with a tirfor. A bit more difficult with the winch but here's what I found (but please forgive the poor soul his love for Jeep): [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLB7 ... detailpage[/youtube]
Really good video that one, very useful info, thanks.

I would rather push a land rover than drive a jeep ;)

Post by 90. »

It gives me all kinds of horrors looking at some of the previous posts, I've taught winch use & safety to both military & civilian also used tirfors & brano pulling machines for years take it from me they are hard work, effective yes but for a lwb paj or LR110 you will need a 3ton rating or you'll need to keep a stock of shear pins.

As for running a Hyd winch from the power steering pump, simple..dont.! it will be slow & it is not rated for it, the steering pump will fail then try driving home after your unstuck.

Will you actually need a winch? if its front mounted sods law you will need to get out backwards, I've not used mine for self recovery ever, used it to lift an engine & pull a dead horse from a stable though :roll:
a demountable is the best of both worlds - can be mounted in the front or rear or left at home.!

As for fitting a 2nd battery the winch should be powered from the main battery to avoid voltage drops associated with the split charge.

be safe.
Technik

Post by Technik »

90. wrote: a demountable is the best of both worlds - can be mounted in the front or rear or left at home.!

As for fitting a 2nd battery the winch should be powered from the main battery to avoid voltage drops associated with the split charge.
Thanks for that tip re battery. And as for the demountable winch - would it not be easily nicked?
unsure

Post by unsure »

[/quote]
Thanks for that tip re battery. And as for the demountable winch - would it not be easily nicked?[/quote]

the thing with a demountable is , you can leave it in the boot when you don`t need it .

never had much use for mine on tesco car park :lol:

if you only plan on using it a few times a year ,i don`t see any point in leaving it out in all weathers on the front of your truck .
some say they are water proof but trust me on this , they`re not .ive had two cheaper winch`s sieze up on me due to water getting in the gearbox`s and motors, also the free spool lever sieze`s up as well .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .