Which 4x4

Logistics and Transport
Technik

Re: Which 4x4

Post by Technik »

Well this is just my assumption that I will only need it a couple times a year. I will be driving the truck off road at least once a month on a weekend trip but I assume I wouldn't get stuck :D Maybe some kind of cover/protector to wrap it around the winch whilst not in use? Does something like that exist? If not then you'll see me on dragons den with it :D
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Technik wrote:Well this is just my assumption that I will only need it a couple times a year. I will be driving the truck off road at least once a month on a weekend trip but I assume I wouldn't get stuck :D Maybe some kind of cover/protector to wrap it around the winch whilst not in use? Does something like that exist? If not then you'll see me on dragons den with it :D
Yes it does its called a big tub of grease and a stiff brush ,

Simples
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
unsure

Post by unsure »

http://www.warriorwinch.co.uk/sub_winch_accessories.php

you can get every thing you need from the link above . including a cover
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Right jumping right in , I am going to look at 2 vehicles tomorrow and opinions welcome

I had my heart set on a shogun and was looking at several R and S/T plates for around the £1700 quid mark but these two popped up today

1) Toyota shogun Auto diesel 2nd gen on a J plate ,To quote the advert " Fitted with every conceivable extra, never been off road, excellent condition", T and T 6 months 102,000 miles £1450 ono

2) Toyota Surf Auto 2.4 diesel on a 92K plate 110,000 miles, from a local dealer but was his brothers for the last 9 years T and T £1795.

Googled the surf and came up with problems with the head cracking on the 2.4 , but figure after 110,000 miles it should be ok ???

As these are both much of a muchness , just wanting the pros and cons verses each other, I am a low milage owner if that helps
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Mitsubishi shogun , every conceivable extra , every chance of it going wrong .

Toyota Surf were mainly sold in Japan with them being exported to here in large numbers , so the story seems a bit iffy ,

The main issue I have is the " AUTO “ boxes when they go you can't crash the gearbox to get you home .

Have another look if I was you .

For that sort of money look at a fourtrac , cheap and very off roadable
J
Be Prepared.
hardcider

Post by hardcider »

for £1700 you could get a Discovery TD5 better better mpg better off road better spec and much better load space!!
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

hardcider wrote:for £1700 you could get a Discovery TD5 better better mpg better off road better spec and much better load space!!
Make sure you get breakdown cover as well ;)
Be Prepared.
unsure

Post by unsure »

poppypiesdad wrote:
hardcider wrote:for £1700 you could get a Discovery TD5 better better mpg better off road better spec and much better load space!!
Make sure you get breakdown cover as well ;)
i agree , break down cover is a must with a td5 :roll:
a late reg`d ,low milage tdi is a far better option .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

I've had my TD5 for three years now, it is 13 years old, not had a breakdown problem with it, my old petrol Defender though is another story.

One life, live it; but why live it under the bonnet of a defender ;)

It was good off road, it had to be as it was rarely able to go out on the road :lol:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

hardcider

Post by hardcider »

had a few discoverys in the past tdi & td5 with no big probs what issues has anyone else had with the td5?