Which 4x4

Logistics and Transport
mrboom

Which 4x4

Post by mrboom »

Don't go for the Jap Crap. Stick with British. I would choose a Land rover over anything. Personally , I think The Land Rover pisses over over all other other 4x4's. Speaking from experience to. Land rover all the way. :-)
-----------
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill.
-----------
Mr Boom.
poppypiesdad

Re: Which 4x4

Post by poppypiesdad »

mrboom wrote:Don't go for the Jap Crap. Stick with British. I would choose a Land rover over anything. Personally , I think The Land Rover pisses over over all other other 4x4's. Speaking from experience to. Land rover all the way. :-)
Emmm what exactly is british about a land rover there owned by Tata of India, being made in China , and soon to be built in Saudi Arabia. Thats right buy a propper British car , Nissan :lol:

So thats why the UN and most major aid agencies use either Land Cruisers or Nissan Patrol's not Rust rovers ,sorry Land Rovers. Which Land Rover do you drive ? Just out of interest?
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

A few years back there was talk of the UK forces moving away from Land rovers for one reason or another :o

One life - live it

but why live it fixing a landy (again) :lol:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

12mp82 wrote:A few years back there was talk of the UK forces moving away from Land rovers for one reason or another :o

One life - live it

but why live it fixing a landy (again) :lol:
:lol:
:lol:
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

tanstaafl wrote:Right jumping right in , I am going to look at 2 vehicles tomorrow and opinions welcome

I had my heart set on a shogun and was looking at several R and S/T plates for around the £1700 quid mark but these two popped up today

1) Toyota shogun Auto diesel 2nd gen on a J plate ,To quote the advert " Fitted with every conceivable extra, never been off road, excellent condition", T and T 6 months 102,000 miles £1450 ono

2) Toyota Surf Auto 2.4 diesel on a 92K plate 110,000 miles, from a local dealer but was his brothers for the last 9 years T and T £1795.

Googled the surf and came up with problems with the head cracking on the 2.4 , but figure after 110,000 miles it should be ok ???

As these are both much of a muchness , just wanting the pros and cons verses each other, I am a low milage owner if that helps

Well got the Shogun ( actually a Pajero, higher spec so all good) needed a interior valet (towed her horses my ass, looked like they slept in the back) :D :D :D :D but got it for £1300 so all good.

Runs sweet as a nut (now), I dont know if there was an attempt to put one over on me or they were just mechanically inept , engine was already running when I got there, but on starting her the next morning she took a good 15-20 secs of turning over to start accompanied by a cloud of white smoke, luckily I have had a fair few diesels in my time and was 99% sure what the problem was and 1 new glowplug later all is good.
Technik

Post by Technik »

unsure wrote:please every one , don`t get me wrong . i work on 4wd most days , mostly landrover . ive seen the navara throw a conrod out of the side of the block .ive also seen the l200 need a replacment rear axle .
both have had replacement rear springs at less than 4 years old due to snapping ,but ive also seen more thanb my fair share of landrovers with more faults than you can shake a stick at , everyThing froma belt tensioner on a 300tdi shredding the fan belt to a d3 with a leaking suspension compressor .
i think it all boils down to what tyou want to drive , theres no one size fits all when it comes to a 4x4 .
You're absolutely right. If you like LR then get one, if you prefer a Shogi then get that one instead. I know what I want now and know what to expect from it. Will post pictures as soon as it's on my drive.
hardcider

Post by hardcider »

what sort of mpg are you getting pajero and is it lwb or swb?
Technik

Post by Technik »

If you're asking me then I don't know cos I don't have one yet ;) But from what I read a 2.8 lwb gets around 25-32 mpg.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

hardcider wrote:what sort of mpg are you getting pajero and is it lwb or swb?
Its a LWB and has the winter pack :D , I dont really know the MPG yet as I put £50 in and have used about 2/3 of that for 110 miles , so about right I think,, the owners club say about 23-28 about town and low 30s on a run,, so I would be happy with 25mpg.

Oh and the club says wear slippers not boots when driving :D
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

poppypiesdad wrote:So thats why the UN and most major aid agencies use either Land Cruisers or Nissan Patrol's not Rust rovers ,sorry Land Rovers. Which Land Rover do you drive ? Just out of interest?
the UN and aid agencies use the Land Cruser as it has a higher pasenger capacity and better air conditioning. it is also cheaper. having driven and owned both the land cruiser is a better day to day vehicle but the Land rover is far superior off road..

the military are soon to be rid of the landrover and this is to do with load space in the back. a landrover will not take a 1 tonne standard nato pallet making it unable to fit the role of light utility vehicle. i will harry the weight easily just not the width.

if buying a landrover buy old.. the newer versions (TD5) are cheap and nasty. they do not have the reliability of the older ones and have all the electronics to fail. as an example 10th of this month we took 8 vehicles off roading my 30 year old defender got a dent 2 of the 5 year old td5 needed recovery to get them home. another major repairs. the land cruiser needed pulling out of the mud. only a C reg defender (2.5NA) and an R reg jimmy had no real problems spending the day pulling newer vehicles out of the mud and back to the road when they broke.

BTW suzuki Jimmy excellent too. just small
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day..
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life..