Which 4x4

Logistics and Transport
gadgetguy

Re: Which 4x4

Post by gadgetguy »

unsure wrote:
poppypiesdad wrote:
hardcider wrote:for £1700 you could get a Discovery TD5 better better mpg better off road better spec and much better load space!!
Make sure you get breakdown cover as well ;)
i agree , break down cover is a must with a td5 :roll:
a late reg`d ,low milage tdi is a far better option .
Been looking after TD5s since they were introduced with civilian rescue never had an issue.Or let down,apart from the drivers!!
unsure

Post by unsure »

Been looking after TD5s since they were introduced with civilian rescue never had an issue.Or let down,apart from the drivers!![/quote]

you must be just plain lucky .

you`ve never had a fuel pressure reg fail or oil down the wiring to the ECU . not to mention the saggy arse syndrome .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Yip loads of friends with discos going tits up , last one 12 plate , kept on letting the airbag suspension down whist on the motorway , not very good , another's has spent more time in dealer than on the road , and another that got there money back went a cross the road to Mitsubishi and got a shogun only to have it written off by a tractor , but that's not the discos fault , do a survey on the roads about you and I bet you you'll see a disco in the back of a recovery truck .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Wanted a Discovery, but everyone and I mean Everyone I spoke to said to get myself a bargepole, shame as I did like the look of them.

same when I googled it.

And having had a fair bit of far eastern machinery over the years (mostly Toyota) I believe their reliability is very good
Sheepster

Post by Sheepster »

Ive got a 300 tdi, Was always told it was more reliable than a TD5, Honestly its probably not. Engine wise yup they are pretty bulletproof but there will always be something needing doing, Mine has just broken a rear shock mount, had slave cylinder fail and blew a radiator plug. Owning a disco in my opinion requires that you get your hands dirty and fairly regularly. Would I change it? Not a chance it still puts a smile on my face everytime im bombing through floods or snow while others cant and despite the odd fettlin I still think its one of the best 4x4's by far ;)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Sheepster wrote:Ive got a 300 tdi, Was always told it was more reliable than a TD5, Honestly its probably not. Engine wise yup they are pretty bulletproof but there will always be something needing doing, Mine has just broken a rear shock mount, had slave cylinder fail and blew a radiator plug. Owning a disco in my opinion requires that you get your hands dirty and fairly regularly. Would I change it? Not a chance it still puts a smile on my face everytime im bombing through floods or snow while others cant and despite the odd fettlin I still think its one of the best 4x4's by far ;)

Out for me then , I am a fair bike mechanic but cars are not my cup of tea, I would not even bother with one if I could get away with it, but as I need one, I want a "just turn the key one" , so toyota it will probably be.
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

unsure wrote:Been looking after TD5s since they were introduced with civilian rescue never had an issue.Or let down,apart from the drivers!!
you must be just plain lucky .

you`ve never had a fuel pressure reg fail or oil down the wiring to the ECU . not to mention the saggy arse syndrome .[/quote]

Probably have been lucky :lol: not had any major fails.Ours are 110 CSW so no saggy rear ends.

We did have problems with our 300tdi though but mainly the gearbox due to the main shaft not having any oil holes for lubrication We did have a timing belt failure due to a faulty tensioner.

There is no make that it totally reliable,for most people it's a personal preference. I drove my D3 to the Sahara and back 3 times with just one puncture. Maybe just luck though :D
hardcider

Post by hardcider »

i have also owned a navara and l200 although the were both reliable any problem cost a small fortune to sort. jap motors seem to charge bentley part prices.
the discos are a much nicer car to drive and no probs with emisions zone.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

hardcider wrote:i have also owned a navara and l200 although the were both reliable any problem cost a small fortune to sort. jap motors seem to charge bentley part prices.
the discos are a much nicer car to drive and no probs with emisions zone.
You just dont know where to buy your parts

http://www.milneroffroad.com/

or

http://www.eurocarparts.com/(yes they do jap parts)

or even partco , dingbro

Last service on the patrol was £165 , full oils (inc engine , diffs , transfer, full filters (inc pollen filter) wheel bearings, swivel housing , and wiper seals.

pays to shop around
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
unsure

Post by unsure »

please every one , don`t get me wrong . i work on 4wd most days , mostly landrover . ive seen the navara throw a conrod out of the side of the block .ive also seen the l200 need a replacment rear axle .
both have had replacement rear springs at less than 4 years old due to snapping ,but ive also seen more thanb my fair share of landrovers with more faults than you can shake a stick at , everyThing froma belt tensioner on a 300tdi shredding the fan belt to a d3 with a leaking suspension compressor .
i think it all boils down to what tyou want to drive , theres no one size fits all when it comes to a 4x4 .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .