Land Rover Defender.

Logistics and Transport
(pete)

Re: Land Rover Defender.

Post by (pete) »

Bit of advise on the toughened glass front...... It's not safe if your involved in an accident on or off road and need to break the glass to exit the car you can't to be honest I wouldn't want to be trapped in a motor I can't get out of with a tank full of fuel that could cause a fire, much better to have a large cage in the rear its secured and keeps things from flying round the passenger areas

Food for thought anyway
madgaz

Post by madgaz »

Get a tank plate/ground anchor. No point having a winch if you get stuck on the moors with nothing to tether to ;-)

Look out for some Snatch/Wulf wheels/tyres. They usually have run flats that ate capable of withstanding an IED ;-)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents Pi55 Poor Performance.
Two is one, one is none.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Madgaz, Area8. Message me?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Guys and Girls Big 4x4's have several major drawbacks.Fuel usage is very high even on diesels, Complexity- even your LandRovers are electronic monstrosities under the hood. Maintenance-I serviced Army landRovers on a regular basis, there is a lot that needs done. Survivability- they are really fragile off road,we broke more than a few on exercise.
And don't try to ford water higher than your wheel height, trust me the water will find a way into your engine.Snorkels are only useful for dusty environments.
if however you insist on your mad max vehicle go on a course to learn how to drive off road, stay safe.
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

Lowlander wrote:Guys and Girls Big 4x4's have several major drawbacks.Fuel usage is very high even on diesels, Complexity- even your LandRovers are electronic monstrosities under the hood. Maintenance-I serviced Army landRovers on a regular basis, there is a lot that needs done. Survivability- they are really fragile off road,we broke more than a few on exercise.
And don't try to ford water higher than your wheel height, trust me the water will find a way into your engine.Snorkels are only useful for dusty environments.
if however you insist on your mad max vehicle go on a course to learn how to drive off road, stay safe.
Fuel on most big 4x4s is higher than most vehicles.Electronics depends on the year of vehicle.As for most people who drive them on and off road I am sure they are not "fragile off road" as most are not in a combat situation!! I have driven and maintained 110,s on and off road for 17 years in civilian rescue circumstances and have not been let down!! Yes they need maintanence just like any other vehicle. I have driven 90 s 110s D1 D2 D3 and D4s up to the bonnet in water without damage,but get proper training. As for snorkels they are designed for deep water,with axle breathers for the appropriate vehicle,maybe you mean RAI,s(raised air intakes) which are not designed for deep water but to help filter out the air in sandy and dusty circumstances just like my old one on my last D3 which did three trips to the Sahara.

As has been said a proper course in off road driving will do most good and build confidence in the vehicles nd yours abilities..
unsure

Post by unsure »

i think your overlooking the obvious ,the old TD, 200 and 300`s will all run on veg oil . new or filtered used oil will do . so when petrol runs out , theres still that option . have a think how many fast food places like kfc or macdonalds or even your local chinese chippy you pass . granted these would be looted for food but who would think about the used cooking oil . ;)
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

Good point unsure.. Both these type of LR are very common and you can find them everywhere they can be repaired relatively easily and there will be an abundance of parts around. You would be amazed at what type of get ou home repairs can be done in remote places. :lol: