Land Rover Defender.

Logistics and Transport
tigs

Re: Land Rover Defender.

Post by tigs »

thanks unsure , had a chat with the owner over the phone last night , he has already done a lot of work on it from what i can work out i might only have to do a little work on it fit a snorkel and under armour
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
mrboom

Post by mrboom »

First of all any modern Defender is worth getting. We have a defender and have run Biodiesel off it before now. Its a British make which means they are common in this country and parts would easily sourced. The Defender has been used by the British Army for over 60 years. Not only the British, but also forces all over the world including USA and Australia.

They are still to date classed as one of the best 4x4's around. Although their design has not changed much over the years. (I mean lets face it, its got the same aerodynamics as a brick) But they have made the vehicle stronger over the years. The engine more reliable with more power. The Engine has also been adapted for use in wet, dusty conditions and to maintain lubrication at extreme angles in off-road use. The power level remains the same though.

If you want something better than an ordinary defender. Get an Ex military 1. In 1994 Land Rover created the Defender XD (XD= eXtra Duty) to replace and complement these vehicles. Powered by 300Tdi engines, the XD has a much stronger chassis, with fibre webbing around the welded joints in the chassis and around stress points to massively increase load capacity. The XD was available both in Defender 90 and 110 forms and known to the British Army as Land Rover Wolves. Usually 110-inch (2,794 mm) Soft or Hard Tops, they are used for patrol, communications and supply duties.

Hope this helps. :-)
-----------
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill.
-----------
Mr Boom.
unsure

Post by unsure »

tigs wrote:thanks unsure , had a chat with the owner over the phone last night , he has already done a lot of work on it from what i can work out i might only have to do a little work on it fit a snorkel and under armour

depending on what engine it has , again , the air filter will be just under the level of the bonnet , as aposed to the air intake being behind the grill or headlamp . if its still got the old 2.5na deisel ,then it should have the old oil bath filter tight upto the bonnet .if its had another engine retro fitted ,it could be anywere .either way have a look and the decide if it needs a raised air intake .if you decide that it does ,then be sure you extend the breathers for the axle`s and both thetransfer box and the gear box.
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

from what i have seen of Land Rovers you cant get a lot in the back? stepdaughter has one and the room between the back of the seats and the rear door is tiny!i've got more room in my Berlingo.
unsure

Post by unsure »

there is a vast amount of space in a 110 / 109 . not so much in the 90,s / 88 `s
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
tigs

Post by tigs »

bulldogeagle wrote:from what i have seen of Land Rovers you cant get a lot in the back? stepdaughter has one and the room between the back of the seats and the rear door is tiny!i've got more room in my Berlingo.
i already use a newer 110 on the farm and it has loads of space in it

thanks unsure i will take it all on board
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Technik

Post by Technik »

I have a couple questions to you Land Rover fans.

I currently have a big van which I'm about to sell as it's surplus to requirements now, and get a small cheap car to be used on a daily basis at work and a 4x4 to be used during weekends, when I need to transport something bigger, to go camping and of course as a bov. Now, as for the first "small cheap car" that's pretty easy so I want to ask about the 4x4 bit.
I only had one 4x4 in my life, a Nissan Terrano. I was very happy with it, apart from fuel consumption. It was big enough to fit almost anything, very reliable and strong. My situation in life has changed a bit since I had it and had to sell it so I thought I will get another one because since then I can't live without a 4x4... I love them :D
So now I thought I will go british and because I always liked the rough look of the Defender (especially the bigger 110) decided to put it on my list. So now a couple questions to whoever owns/owned one:
- why a Landie and not a Jap?
- how much is roughly insurance and road tax when compared to others?
- is it a good car for caravan holidays?
- are they expensive to repair/maintain?
- anything else I should know?

I thought about getting a basic example for around £2k or less with a sound engine, gearbox, etc and then slowly upgrade it when money allows. Maybe even do some of the upgrades myself rather than a mechanic.

Thanks for any info
unsure

Post by unsure »

if you want some thing with comfort , don`t get a defender ,have a look at a discovery .my experiance of defenders even though i love them to bits and work on them most days are that if you want to turn right its best to have the window open . i tend to bash my elbow on the glass. go and test drive one before you set your heart on one .

parts are relatively cheap and easy to maintain with a basic tool kit , most parts from the same era [80/90`s ] are interchangable from a defender to a discovery to a rangerover [200/300tdi]if you get a 300tdi then the same bits off any other 300 will fit with the exception of one or two parts .like the turbo on a defender is fitted differant to a discovery .

insurance depends on you and were you live .

as for a jap 4x4 , you`ll pay alot more for parts ,even secondhand ones .they tend not to breakdown but when they do its usually expensive . not to easy to work on unless you know what your doing
Technik

Post by Technik »

Thanks for the advice unsure. That's what I'll do - go and test drive the Defender and Disco to see what's my thing.
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

Technic. if you want to see why a land rover PM me and i'll meet up and show you mine and what it can do.
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day..
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life..