Car kits .. what to take

Logistics and Transport
skippy

Car kits .. what to take

Post by skippy »

Ok ... Last year in the snow that we get up here in the frozen wastes :D I got a wake up call while driving on actually a quite local and well traveled road.
Driving my usual 22 mile journey to my work place, on roads I know well, the weather deteriorated and coming over the top of a hill it was a ground whiteout ...you know, when you can see the tops of the fences but not the road surface. Anyway about 2 inches of snow had fallen by this point and I was taking it easy in 4wd high ratio when i drove into a drift about 2 ft thick. The momentum bellied the 4x4 onto the snow leaving all 4 wheels spinning .....stuck good!
At this point i realised I had no snow shovel in the car and although we were well dressed it was about 3 below zero and not that much fuel left in the truck.
Bum!
ok first things first I rocked the truck back and fore trying to get it out but no luck it was well stuck. then I got out and dug with my hands the snow around the tyres but half way through this got very cold and could see it was making no difference so stopped and went back inside to warm up.
A couple of other cars came up the road behind us and I waved them back so they wouldnt get stuck either but both just reversed off without stopping to see if they could help (thanks a lot!).Sop I wrapped up as best I could and trudged back half a mile to the nearest farm and got the promise of a tractor tow. then went back to the truck to wait. An hour later we got towed out.
So lessons learned .... nothing I could have done about the situation before I drove into it except drive a bit slower.
Things I now have in the truck ... a shovel ! two sets of hand warmers. two hats (my ears got realy cold) and Im looking for a clip on 12volt winch.
I now dont assume that my truck will keep me out of trouble. although up to then it had
I have always carried the following :
torch, tool kit, spare bulbs, spare fuel, spare oil, washer fluid, water, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, tow rope, big d shackles(for attaching tow ropes) and ratchet straps.
So .. now I take a different route in the snow.

Skippy
Alexr

Re: Car kits .. what to take

Post by Alexr »

Might be a good idea having a tractor in there somewhere . . .

How big is your car? :lol:

I have a spare pair of socks in my glovebox. In the back I have a blanket, basic tool kit, gloves, spare jacket, drinking water and sometimes a bag of sweets.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Another option (by that I mean cheap) for a winch is a big ratchet strap. Not the lightweight things but ones similar to the ones used in trucks to secure the load. I had to empty my truck when I got a new one the other week and left one of the straps in my car by mistake :D

Not as good as a proper winch obviously but will still do the job at a push
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Land-rover Hi-lift or farm jacks are a cheap and easy winch, but are they very very slow :shock:
Big fat bill

Post by Big fat bill »

This is what i have in the car this winter especially if I'm going out of town.

A SLEEPING BAG, 3 or 4 SEASON PREFERABLY. This will keep you warm.

A THERMOS FLASK WITH HOT SOUP IN. Soup keeps you filled and less hungry for longer than warm drinks. If still there when I get home I eat it.

IF NEEDED A SECOND ONE WITH TEA OR HOT WATER with tea bags or coffee carried separately.

SOME CHOCOLATE BARS. These help keep your sugar up and can have a cheering effect.

A NUMBER OF MRE's OR MEALS READY TO EAT. YOU CAN BUY STEWS AND CURRIES IN POUCHES THAT YOU JUST ADD WATER AND THEY HEAT UP. KEEP AT LEAST 3 PER PERSON TRAVELLING. Self explanatory really. You need food and if you cook it on a hexi burner you get bodily cold whilst doing this.

A SMALL HEXE BURNER AND FUEL TABS AND A SMALL MESS TIN TO WARM UP WATER. A good stand by but the above flask and meals are a better option.

A CHANGE OF CLOTHING AND FOOTWARE. MAKE THIS UP OF THIN LAYERS RATHER THAN ONE THICK JUMPER. Include long johns and thermal vests.

KEEP A PAIR OF WELLINGTON BOOTS OR STOUT WALKING BOOTS AND A PAIR OF THICK SOCKS IN THE CAR AT ALL TIMES. These are in case you need to walk home or to a rescue point because life's a bitch if you try walking in snow with high heal shoes on ... apparently.

A CHARGED MOBILE PHONE, A CAR PHONE CHARGER AND A WRITTEN LIST OF IMPORTANT NUMBERS. If you can keep two phones each one a different network in case one network goes down. If your phone goes down you might not be able to access your phone memory for the important numbers.

A TORCH AND A PORTABLE RADIO, PREFERABLY BOTH WITH WIND UP MECHANISMS OR IF NOT KEEP SPARE BATTERIES WRAPPED UP AS COLD REDUCES THE STORAGE LIFE OF BATTERIES. Wind up equipment does not rely on your car battery to charge them up so you can conserve that whilst keeping in touch with the news.

A SUPPLY OF HIGH ENERGY SNACKS SUCH AS SUNFLOWER SEEDS, NUTS DRIED FRUIT ETC. Something to snack on, takes your mind off the emergency, keeps your sugars level etc.

AT LEAST 3 LITRES OF BOTTLED WATER. Water is needed to wash with, drink, clean wounds etc.

A MAP IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF THE AREA. Even if you are familiar with your route via roads a map can help you get home using alternative routes. The main importance here is to KNOW these alternative routes before they are needed and also routes to travel by day and night. By foot and by vehicle.ABOVE ALL MAKE SURE YOU ARE SAFE AND HAVE SUITABLE PERSONAL PROTECTION BEFORE LEAVING THE SECURITY OF YOUR VEICHLE NO MATTER HOW BAD THE WEATHER.

ALSO KEEP IN THE CAR A CAN OF DE ICER, SOME DILUTED WINDOW WASH FLUID AND A SUPPLY OF PAPER TOWELS. Clean windows are a must and traveling in convoy with other commuters makes spray dirty your windows a great deal.

A SMALL COMPACT SHOVEL. You may need it to dig you out of trouble.

A LARGE TORCH.

If you have one with a strobe light attached then you can use this on the roof to attract attention but again be aware of personal safety.

FULL TANK OF PETROL / DIESEL. AS YOU USE THE FUEL NEVER LET IT FALL BELOW 3/4 OF A TANK. I KNOW FUEL IS EXPENSIVE BUT THE TANK IS FILLED ONLY ONCE THEN YOU TOP IT UP. At least you know you have a lot of petrol to keep the heater going if needed. Be aware that a build up of snow can cause a blocked exhaust pipe and this is dangerous.

PORTABLE WIND UP RADIO. IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING OUT OF AREA INCLUDE MAPS AND A COMPASS WITH A LOUD WHISTLE AND KNOW HOW TO READ THE MAPS. Second mention but important.