So what will you do if the oil runs out?

Logistics and Transport
bulldogeagle

Re: So what will you do if the oil runs out?

Post by bulldogeagle »

the-gnole wrote:The worlds population "could" fit into an area the size of France
i dont believe that for a minute, France isnt that big, what about the populations of China, India and USA?
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm struggling to understand why anybody would care what hell country they could all fit into!
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

diamond lil wrote:I'm struggling to understand why anybody would care what hell country they could all fit into!
The point being that there is a lot of land available, Scotland is a low population area and huge amounts of land, most of it not good for growing cereal type crops, but good for sheep raising and free roaming live-stock.
bulldogeagle wrote:
the-gnole wrote:The worlds population "could" fit into an area the size of France
i dont believe that for a minute, France isnt that big, what about the populations of China, India and USA?
Is LA bigger or smaller than France?
2. If all seven billion people on Earth stood shoulder-to-shoulder, we would fill _________.

a. São Paulo, Brazil

b. Tokyo, Japan

c. Florida

d. Los Angeles, California
Standing shoulder-to-shoulder, the entire world's population could fit within the 500 square miles (1,300 square kilometers) of Los Angeles.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -un-seven/

France covers an area of about 166,757,337 acres.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_acre ... z1g9jpD72I

Los Angeles comprises 318,912 acres of total area or 300,224 acres of land area.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_acre ... z1g9kCO01g
clearthedecks

Post by clearthedecks »

Bet I wasn't the only one who had to google that name :lol:[/quote]

I used the birth name rather than Pol Pot because I felt that that was too confrontational. My intention was not to belittle or disregard Clearthedecks point of view, it was to point out that some approaches have unintended consequences or outcomes.

I am always very careful when I post on this particular forum as some folk seem to be really touchy.

Tommy[/quote]

It was very funny Tommy, and no offence taken. :) I didnt quite have in mind ' preparation by elimination' and unlike pol pot, I cant even get the dog to do as I say - :lol:
tommylongstocking

Post by tommylongstocking »

the-gnole wrote: after all there are more over-weight people on the planet than starving ones.
Sir,

You have cracked it! The answer to all our problems, fat people. Easy to raise, Easy to feed, Pretty much look after themselves, easy to catch, easier than chickens really. Just cull them in a controlled fashion, render the fat for bio-fuels, use the meat for protein and the bones for agricultural fertilizer. Perfect!

Now, a name? mmmmmm, how about Soylent green? No, its been thought of. Bugger.

Tommy (this is a joke, honest)
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

While I do care about the people from Africa, India and any other place that is over populated and starving - I do believe you have to look after yourself and family / friends first before you hand out to strangers.

I am from Africa! (the most Southern part at least) however as there are people homeless and starving on the streets of Ebngland, I believe you look after your own first, before you start to help the neighbouring countries.

It is however shocking that so many countries like that are over populated but can't feed themselves - why do they carry on breeding? If I was in charge, I would sterilise the lot until the figures had reversed.

Maxilaura
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

maxilaura wrote:While I do care about the people from Africa, India and any other place that is over populated and starving - I do believe you have to look after yourself and family / friends first before you hand out to strangers.

I am from Africa! (the most Southern part at least) however as there are people homeless and starving on the streets of Ebngland, I believe you look after your own first, before you start to help the neighbouring countries.

It is however shocking that so many countries like that are over populated but can't feed themselves - why do they carry on breeding? If I was in charge, I would sterilise the lot until the figures had reversed.

Maxilaura
Please have a read of what you have just written maxilaura.

If you have starving neighbours do you leave them helpless or do you give a little of what you have so they don't come and take all of what you have?

If you were in charge you would last a very short time if you thought that you would control the population by sterilising the lot.

On that subject if you sterilised them all how would you reverse that, the reversal of population growth would start within months anyway as more people died than those being born.

Education, or lack of it, is the biggest cause of over population in third world and developing countries. Funding from other countries pays for that education, so cutting funding would only exacerbate the situation, wouldn't it?

Also they have more children because they know several will die of starvation, because they have no money, for food or education.

YMMV

But sometimes things happen for a reason
luxor

Post by luxor »

If you have starving neighbours do you leave them helpless or do you give a little of what you have so they don't come and take all of what you have?
i am talking about eotwawki and not every day life.

as heartless as it sounds i cant agree,
the starving having found a source of food will keep coming back for more.
when you reach the stage you have nothing left to give and still be able to feed you and yours.
they will take all you have anyway
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Completely different situation then.

But in those situations I would not have all my eggs in one basket, a few lock-ups around the area where |I can secure food and equipment would be the order of the day.
clearthedecks

Post by clearthedecks »

Thats true Luxor, if its that grim then its a matter of sustaining those who likewise, can sustain you. Not electing to slow those, that cannot help you, in their descent by going down with them!
At danger of Tommy polpotting me again :lol: it would be a matter of finite stores versus what can be produced - to save others in need you will need to produce food, not store it.
CTD