Best driving schools?

Logistics and Transport
diamond lil

Re: Best driving schools?

Post by diamond lil »

Ours is a Bandit 1200 and the son has a Ninja . We've always had bikes, son always swears he will never buy a car :mrgreen:
Huorn

Post by Huorn »

Northern Raider wrote:
Huorn wrote:[
1. Motorcycles must exceed 125 cc
2. Maximum towed weight, including the trailer and it’s load must not exceed 150 Kg. (330 lb.) or two thirds of the motorcycles unladen weight, whichever is least.
3. The Motorcycle must be marked with it’s kerbside weight.
4. Maximum width of the trailer is one metre.
5. Maximum length of the trailer is 2.5 metres, measured from the motorcycle rear wheel spindle to the rearmost part of the trailer. The trailer must be marked with it’s unladen weight.
6. The UK speed limit is 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways.
7. Lighting regulations are the same as other small trailers.

H
That makes for a very useable sized trailer bike combo for preppers and adventure travellers.
Sadly not big enough to allow me to trail my five metre canoe, which was why I looked into this originally. :(

H
Northern Raider

Post by Northern Raider »

Huorn wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Huorn wrote:[
1. Motorcycles must exceed 125 cc
2. Maximum towed weight, including the trailer and it’s load must not exceed 150 Kg. (330 lb.) or two thirds of the motorcycles unladen weight, whichever is least.
3. The Motorcycle must be marked with it’s kerbside weight.
4. Maximum width of the trailer is one metre.
5. Maximum length of the trailer is 2.5 metres, measured from the motorcycle rear wheel spindle to the rearmost part of the trailer. The trailer must be marked with it’s unladen weight.
6. The UK speed limit is 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways.
7. Lighting regulations are the same as other small trailers.

H
That makes for a very useable sized trailer bike combo for preppers and adventure travellers.
Sadly not big enough to allow me to trail my five metre canoe, which was why I looked into this originally. :(

H
get one of those fold up kayaks
Huorn

Post by Huorn »

Northern Raider wrote:
Huorn wrote: Sadly not big enough to allow me to trail my five metre canoe, which was why I looked into this originally. :(

H
get one of those fold up kayakls
I'd prefer one of these:
http://www.pakboats.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=147

However, with four boats in the back garden I think I've already reached my limit for boats for SWMBO.

Pakboats are very nice, if pricey. I met a fella who arrived at a canoe rally on a Brompton folding bike pulling a trailer with two of these packed away on the trailer. Bike and trailer would disappear into a canoe easily. Good kit, better than the inflatables many use these days.

H
smileyt

Post by smileyt »

Well, I went to the local Honda showroom today and looked at a couple of bikes/scooters. My legs were dangling on all of them. I could tell the salesmen were dying to laugh :( I guess at 4ft 8" I am only the height of the average 11 year old girl. Sigh. However, I shall look at other makes. Part of the problem too was that I didn't feel strong enough to hold the bike steady.

Part of me is wondering if this is an omen: I got knocked of my bike (cycle) on the way to the showroom. It was broad daylight and I was wearing a fluorescent yellow strap. I was cycling past a row of parked cars and the driver of one of them decided to open the car door without checking the mirrors first. :x I admit I did swear and ask what they thought the purpose of the mirrors was. Luckily I was wearing a helmet or it would have been ambulance for a broken head time. As it is, I just have a mild headache and I know I will wake up stiff and sore in the morning. So I admit I am slightly going off the idea of a motorbike!
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

smileyt wrote:Well, I went to the local Honda showroom today and looked at a couple of bikes/scooters. My legs were dangling on all of them. I could tell the salesmen were dying to laugh :( I guess at 4ft 8" I am only the height of the average 11 year old girl. Sigh. However, I shall look at other makes. Part of the problem too was that I didn't feel strong enough to hold the bike steady.

Part of me is wondering if this is an omen: I got knocked of my bike (cycle) on the way to the showroom. It was broad daylight and I was wearing a fluorescent yellow strap. I was cycling past a row of parked cars and the driver of one of them decided to open the car door without checking the mirrors first. :x I admit I did swear and ask what they thought the purpose of the mirrors was. Luckily I was wearing a helmet or it would have been ambulance for a broken head time. As it is, I just have a mild headache and I know I will wake up stiff and sore in the morning. So I admit I am slightly going off the idea of a motorbike!
oh smileyt, hope you are feeling OK. Thats a horrible thing to happen. My OH is a cyclist and he has had many, many near misses that way. He usually offers some profanity to the driver!
I hope you can find something you are comfortable with.
preppingsu
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

Oh no! Hope you're ok smiley... I've had that happen to me before when I used to cycle everywhere... not good...

Glad you were wearing a helmet though!
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
smileyt

Post by smileyt »

Hi su, thank you for your sympathy. I've been knocked off once before by a van running into me. Cycling would be great if it were not for stupid motorists (I know not all motorists are stupid!). I'm now wondering whether an electric bike would be better for me, but they are almost as expensive as motorbikes! Perhaps I should just get a couple of huskies and a sled on wheels :lol:
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

smileyt wrote:Hi su, thank you for your sympathy. I've been knocked off once before by a van running into me. Cycling would be great if it were not for stupid motorists (I know not all motorists are stupid!). I'm now wondering whether an electric bike would be better for me, but they are almost as expensive as motorbikes! Perhaps I should just get a couple of huskies and a sled on wheels :lol:
well, if the weather predictions are right then a sled is a very good option :lol:
Northern Raider

Post by Northern Raider »

smileyt wrote:Hi su, thank you for your sympathy. I've been knocked off once before by a van running into me. Cycling would be great if it were not for stupid motorists (I know not all motorists are stupid!). I'm now wondering whether an electric bike would be better for me, but they are almost as expensive as motorbikes! Perhaps I should just get a couple of huskies and a sled on wheels :lol:
I thought Manchester was the Venice of the north , according to Boddingtons, and the place was riddled with canals !!!. Foldy Kayak as a BOV ?