Best driving schools?

Logistics and Transport
Carrot Cruncher

Re: Best driving schools?

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Sidecars for Motorbikes seem to be making a comeback. I spend hours each day going up and down the motorways and look at all the bikes. This summer I saw more motorbike and sidecar outfits that I have seen total in the last 10 years.

Some people might laugh that you would take your pets with you but I agree, our mutts are part of the family and get treated the same. Plus MrsCC would rather leave me behind than the mutts :(
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

smileyt wrote:Hi

I am rapidly, and sadly, coming to the conclusion that I have to learn to drive, and somehow save up for a car if I am to live anywhere outside of the city. This makes me incredibly sad because I actually don't want to do this, but it seems like it will be necessary if I am to be able to move in the future and find work. :( I'll have to stop my preps for a bit to save up for driving lessons. :(

So - does anyone have any tips on a good driving school, or tips on how to get the best value out of the money I will have to spend on driving lessons? This is all completely new to me.

I'd look at motorbikes but I'm only 4ft 8 so doubt I'd get one that was safe for me to ride. :(
Is there any particular reason why you don't want to learn to drive Smiley? :)
smileyt

Post by smileyt »

itsybitsy wrote: Is there any particular reason why you don't want to learn to drive Smiley? :)
I think I've held out so long because I live such a 'green' lifestyle. It's something of an ideal with me. Also because I didn't want to be dependent on a car. I've managed quite well so far, but if I want to live outside the city and still be able to find work, then I will need some kind of transport. Plus, cycling is the only exercise I get as I'm far too lazy to get my backside to a gym.

I'm wondering if there are any bikes that can run on vegetable oil .... must go and look at that one .... I don't want to be in the same position as so many car drivers, queuing for petrol in a shortage. Sigh.

ETA CC, your wife sounds like me :lol: :lol:
smileyt

Post by smileyt »

:shock: Eek £50 just to apply for a provisional licence. Insert swear words here!
Northern Raider

Post by Northern Raider »

smileyt wrote: I'm wondering if there are any bikes that can run on vegetable oil .... must go and look at that one .... I don't want to be in the same position as so many car drivers, queuing for petrol in a shortage. Sigh.

:
Smiley try googling Diesel Motorcycles IIRC for quite a few years they imported the Enfield India 500 CC single cycl diesel to the UK, and Kawsaki made a diesel KLR 650 for the military. Cant get greener than that. 8-)
Northern Raider

bigpaul

Post by bigpaul »

I've ridden a motorcycle since i was 16-i'm now 62! my present bike is a Honda Nighthawk 450cc Lowrider Chop, not a fast bike but i'm past the road rocket stage!! :lol: but i would say if you're going to move any amount of stuff and animals too you're going to need a car at least if not some sort of small van, most cars can be fitted with a tow bar for a trailer not all bikes can, probably very few!
Huorn

Post by Huorn »

bigpaul wrote:I've ridden a motorcycle since i was 16-i'm now 62! my present bike is a Honda Nighthawk 450cc Lowrider Chop, not a fast bike but i'm past the road rocket stage!! :lol: but i would say if you're going to move any amount of stuff and animals too you're going to need a car at least if not some sort of small van, most cars can be fitted with a tow bar for a trailer not all bikes can, probably very few!
In case anyone is considering towing a trailer behind a motorcycle they might find this of interest:

UK legislation was changed in 1984 to allow trailers to be towed by solo motorcycles. The main points are as follows :

1. Motorcycles must exceed 125 cc
2. Maximum towed weight, including the trailer and it’s load must not exceed 150 Kg. (330 lb.) or two thirds of the motorcycles unladen weight, whichever is least.
3. The Motorcycle must be marked with it’s kerbside weight.
4. Maximum width of the trailer is one metre.
5. Maximum length of the trailer is 2.5 metres, measured from the motorcycle rear wheel spindle to the rearmost part of the trailer. The trailer must be marked with it’s unladen weight.
6. The UK speed limit is 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways.
7. Lighting regulations are the same as other small trailers.

H
Northern Raider

Huorn wrote:[
1. Motorcycles must exceed 125 cc
2. Maximum towed weight, including the trailer and it’s load must not exceed 150 Kg. (330 lb.) or two thirds of the motorcycles unladen weight, whichever is least.
3. The Motorcycle must be marked with it’s kerbside weight.
4. Maximum width of the trailer is one metre.
5. Maximum length of the trailer is 2.5 metres, measured from the motorcycle rear wheel spindle to the rearmost part of the trailer. The trailer must be marked with it’s unladen weight.
6. The UK speed limit is 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways.
7. Lighting regulations are the same as other small trailers.

H
That makes for a very useable sized trailer bike combo for preppers and adventure travellers.
smileyt

Post by smileyt »

Thanks for that info, Huorn, it is very useful! I would have to pass my full test though before I could get a trailer, as beginners aren't allowed to ride anything over 125cc as far as I can tell. Still, Rome wasn't built in a day .... gives me something to aim towards!