Best driving schools?

Logistics and Transport
smileyt

Best driving schools?

Post by smileyt »

Hi

I am rapidly, and sadly, coming to the conclusion that I have to learn to drive, and somehow save up for a car if I am to live anywhere outside of the city. This makes me incredibly sad because I actually don't want to do this, but it seems like it will be necessary if I am to be able to move in the future and find work. :( I'll have to stop my preps for a bit to save up for driving lessons. :(

So - does anyone have any tips on a good driving school, or tips on how to get the best value out of the money I will have to spend on driving lessons? This is all completely new to me.

I'd look at motorbikes but I'm only 4ft 8 so doubt I'd get one that was safe for me to ride. :(
Northern Raider

Re: Best driving schools?

Post by Northern Raider »

God you infuriuate me at times :lol: I read the first part of your post and thought, why does my manchester girl not get a motorcycle, then I read on to see you have discounted it out of hand GRRR ;) My undying respect for you has got dented.

Yamaha Virago, or Harley 885 are both available with seats as low as about 27 inches, so you have abnsolutely no excuse not to go for the best form of transport available to single preppers.
They are both customs with low seats, have fuel injection, can be fitted with luggage racks and hard cases, and wind screens. Many of these modern low seat hight customs are alse shaft drive so MTCE is non existant. I rode around the UK on a 125 some years ago.

C'mon Trace have a go.

smileyt wrote:Hi

I am rapidly, and sadly, coming to the conclusion that I have to learn to drive, and somehow save up for a car if I am to live anywhere outside of the city. This makes me incredibly sad because I actually don't want to do this, but it seems like it will be necessary if I am to be able to move in the future and find work. :( I'll have to stop my preps for a bit to save up for driving lessons. :(

So - does anyone have any tips on a good driving school, or tips on how to get the best value out of the money I will have to spend on driving lessons? This is all completely new to me.

I'd look at motorbikes but I'm only 4ft 8 so doubt I'd get one that was safe for me to ride. :(
Northern Raider

Forgot to mention that if I was in power everyone would have to pass a motorcycle test before they were allowed to move onto a car.
uk survivalist

Post by uk survivalist »

What about passin your bike test then get a 3 wheeler?.
UK survivalist
midlandprepper

Post by midlandprepper »

Ive passed my driving test first time a couple of months back, there is not really a best driving school it all depends on the instructor you get assigned i went through 3 the first one was good for a while then slowed down the teaching trying to get more money out of me so moved on second was with the ssame school BSM and was okay but i didnt really like him, third instructor was from RED was my dad's colleuges husband, was with him for about 3 months then took test and passed. One of the best ways to save some money is to book lessons in blocks as they offer a discount, however this varies between company's and you can also get some good introductory offers. Now having passed as i am in the highest risk group (Male and 18) for drivers im having to save up to pay £2500 for insurance on a 1L 2001 Vaxhaull Corsa :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Northern Raider

uk survivalist wrote:What about passin your bike test then get a 3 wheeler?.
UK survivalist

Thats wot I did, got my bike test passed at the second attempt, then goty a bond bug and reliant robin van for the winter months.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Yep, if you dont fancy a car (and even if you do) go for a bike...I've got a Triumph Speedmaster and that has a very low seat height, and as the others suggested you can then get a 3 wheeler. You can pick up a decent 2nd hand bike for not a lot of money (relative to a car)

CC
smileyt

Post by smileyt »

Been thinking about this. I know a couple of blokes who have scooter/moped type things so I'm going to have a chat with them and ask if I can have a little go (once the ice has gone!). To be honest I'm a bit scared of motorbikes cos of the safety aspect of driving with prattish car drivers also on the road. I know I cycle in the city, but at least on a (push)bike I can get off and walk my bike along the pavements if things feel a bit hairy.
Northern Raider

smileyt wrote:Been thinking about this. I know a couple of blokes who have scooter/moped type things so I'm going to have a chat with them and ask if I can have a little go (once the ice has gone!). To be honest I'm a bit scared of motorbikes cos of the safety aspect of driving with prattish car drivers also on the road. I know I cycle in the city, but at least on a (push)bike I can get off and walk my bike along the pavements if things feel a bit hairy.

I biked for 30 years and the same simple golden rule applies to motorcycles as it does bicycles, treat all motorists like they are morons, assume they will pull out in front of you.
Magz

Post by Magz »

I went with BSM but I have to warn you I think the letters stand for buy some more! :)