Snow socks for cars

Logistics and Transport
Appin

Snow socks for cars

Post by Appin »

This is a follow up to something mentioned in "What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6."

Yorkshire Andy commented

"Nothing grips on ice bar cars with studded tyres. winter tyres a a little better than normal 4 wheel drives often take longer to stop due to being heavier due to the extra running gear they often get going quicker thus get into trouble

Think the book says 10x longer stopping distance on ice.. for a normal car"

Does anyone have experience of "Snow socks" as an alternative to snow chains etc?

Appin
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Snow socks for cars

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Yes they are good.....

Socks are useable on ice and snow Vs chains that are only good on snow or thick ice.....
.and are much easier to put on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM1Ea4CgWeo&app=desktop
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

socks are a better idea for me as i drive on a lot of slush and snow rather than ice and snow , the down side for me is that they wear very quickly on tarmac and a pain to get on and off.

its the sort of thing i would keep in the car to get me self out of a stuck spot but not really wear all the time.

i have a front wheel drive car and i have two spare tyres for it, they are both mud tyres with loads of grip, when the snow does come i will change them over
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

We fit our winter tyres to our car (Skoda Superb estate) each November and keep chains in the boot. No experience of snow socks im afraid. Having been a Landrover driver for nearly 30 years, I agree that they are great in snow and mud, but loose it on sheet ice and they can be a nightmare to get back under control, much more so than (lightweight) cars.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

the general idea with a snow sock is to clog with snow and to adhere snow to the wheel, this inturn grips better on the snow on the road, in practise i find it filed the wheel arch up and causes me grief some times