Running a car on firewood! Russian Style

Logistics and Transport
FlashPan

Running a car on firewood! Russian Style

Post by FlashPan »

Just came across this.

Not that I'll be able to do this myself it is still interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NvBD3-244w

I do think that if a major SHTF or whatever was to hit Russia they would be able to cope/adapt quite easily.

Am starting to watch more Russian vids on various subjects of making/modding etc and am really impressed with the ingenuity (even if not always eco friendly).

Cheers
Gordon's Alive!?
grenfell

Re: Running a car on firewood! Russian Style

Post by grenfell »

Very common during the war , https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic ... 2&t=162087 somewhere in that thread I'm sure there's some pictures of tanks used for training with wood gas generators .
As to trying to run one at the moment I would think that while the practicalities are simple enough getting one legal would involve a considerable amount of hoop jumping if it were even possible. Perhaps someone may know a bit more about the legal side to this?

Edit , page 4 and 9 in the link have photos of woodgas powered tanks
jansman

Post by jansman »

You will be ok,but not in London.The mayor doesn't even want you to keep warm with wood! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

It's made me do a google and to be honest I didn't find a definite answer as such . Plenty of comments and one that came up a couple of times is that such a vehicle would more than likely be uninsurable and as such wouldn't be legal on our roads . With the likelyhood that a gasifier would be homemade and thus not passed by any specific safety regs it does seem likely that insurance companies probably wouldn't touch it.
One mention was of a woodgas vehicle being essentially similar to a steam engine which at least in the form of vintage vehicles are seen on our roads did come up but again no definitive answer,
http://forum.driveonwood.com/t/uk-vehic ... nce/881/11
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have not seen the film, I went one better and read the book: The Road. There is a scene where the ‘Road Agents’- travelling cannibals- arrive in a woodgas truck. So when we see those on the road, it will be a worry... :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

But but .. in the Mad Max films they just used big gas guzzling petrol engines? Think I'll just steer clear of the roads :D
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

Initially I think the 1st and 2nd Mad Max was gasoline but the 3rd used pig shit (methane?)
Gordon's Alive!?
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

" bites tongue at the mention of mad max 3 and pig shit in the same sentence " ...
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

c',mon grenfell...don't be a hero....."we don't need another hero!" ;)
Gordon's Alive!?
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Watched programme on one of the freeview channels , could have been spike, anyway it was called ‘mountain men’ and I guy there had his pickup running on wood, seeing as he owned a ton of forest seemed sensible to me. I think it’s the unburnt carbon or something in the smoke.
Up in the wet South Lakeland